job outlook in VA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotrancer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My dad is a general oncologist and I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any thoughts on private practice conditions in VA. He's currently the director of oncology services in a rural town in PA but is interested in moving to VA somewhere in the vicinity of norfolk. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I am especially interested to know whether there is any negativity towards practitioners of east indian descent in the area.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on where in VA. I think Northern VA is no problem. It's close to DC and heterogenous in population. But in more rural VA areas where there are few non-white people and fewer educated people it might be different. I can't say where because I've never been elsewhere. Bottom line, though, you've got to go where there are jobs. I know an Indian uncle who went to Western VA in the 70s for a job and didn't have a family, and Western VA is probably less of a mixed population than VA. I don't know what your dad does, but chances are if he has to move a lot, he'll have to move again out of there anyway. Hope that helps.

the job market for RADonc (can't say for other) is great.