job listings in podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avandreel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to go for help in life decisions, but I can only hope some of the people here will have more insight in healthcare professions than my friends and family have given me.
I have been going back and forth between podiatry and PA for the past year or so. I haven't taken the physics yet, but I really want to apply by Fall 2007, so thinking I NEEDED the MCAT for pod school, was going to just apply to PA school. Now I've been doing some more research, and have even called DMU and they said that they might likely accept a GRE score, given my circumstance. Now I am leaning more towards POD school. My stats should be pretty good, but my only concern are some of the threads I've seen on here which hold podiatry in a negative light. Granted, they are kinda old for the most part, but worry me nonetheless.
My biggest concern is job availability. The idea of spending so much time in school and having to try and scrape a good living sounds awful. I am hoping someone will have some advice, convincing anecdotes of DPMs they know making a good living, or even online job listings as proof of a career after residency? I see tons of ads for PAs, and would just like some confidence in podiatry should I go that route. Especially in the midwest, but anything helps.
BTW, I have shadowed a podiatrist, and think I would enjoy the work, so that's not an issue. I just don't think it's a crime to want a rather comfortable living after eight+ years in school. Sorry for the length, and/or rambling, but hopefully some of you remember what it's like being on the brink of a major decision like this.

Members don't see this ad.

avandreel said:
Hi-
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to go for help in life decisions, but I can only hope some of the people here will have more insight in healthcare professions than my friends and family have given me.
I have been going back and forth between podiatry and PA for the past year or so. I haven't taken the physics yet, but I really want to apply by Fall 2007, so thinking I NEEDED the MCAT for pod school, was going to just apply to PA school. Now I've been doing some more research, and have even called DMU and they said that they might likely accept a GRE score, given my circumstance. Now I am leaning more towards POD school. My stats should be pretty good, but my only concern are some of the threads I've seen on here which hold podiatry in a negative light. Granted, they are kinda old for the most part, but worry me nonetheless.
My biggest concern is job availability. The idea of spending so much time in school and having to try and scrape a good living sounds awful. I am hoping someone will have some advice, convincing anecdotes of DPMs they know making a good living, or even online job listings as proof of a career after residency? I see tons of ads for PAs, and would just like some confidence in podiatry should I go that route. Especially in the midwest, but anything helps.
BTW, I have shadowed a podiatrist, and think I would enjoy the work, so that's not an issue. I just don't think it's a crime to want a rather comfortable living after eight+ years in school. Sorry for the length, and/or rambling, but hopefully some of you remember what it's like being on the brink of a major decision like this.

I can relate to your apprehension and think it is refreshing to see someone put so much thought into such a serious decision before committing. I was accepted to dental school at UMKC before deciding on podiatry and actually decided to make the switch at the last second. I am headed into my third year and definitely have no regrets. I like to think of podiatry as the best kept secret in medicine, which might explain why you are having such a hard time finding online job listings. We are a profession of around 15000 doctors and most of the recruiting is done within the profession and not on monster.com. The monthly periodicals I receive from the APMA and Podiatry management are full of job opportunities and a great deal of residents have a job secured before graduation. Personally, I believe there has never been a better time to enter the profession. Currently GRE scores are okay, but that may be changing soon with the increasing competition of the applicant pool. I have met many awesome students in the PA program at DMU and I believe that PA's are an important part of the medical team, but if you have the desire to become a podiatric surgeon the sky truly is the limit and you should not let the negativity of a few dissuade you. There are unhappy doctors everywhere whether they are MDs DOs or DPMs. It has been my experience that their unhappiness with how things turned out for them has a great deal to do with them as a person and not the profession they have chosen. The best advice I can give you is to spend as much time as possible with a podiatrist who has graduated recently since there has been such a drastic change in our training over the past decade and decide for yourself if it seems like something you could enjoy. Good luck, with whatever you decide. :D

Reactions: 1 user
gustydoc said:
I can relate to your apprehension and think it is refreshing to see someone put so much thought into such a serious decision before committing. I was accepted to dental school at UMKC before deciding on podiatry and actually decided to make the switch at the last second. I am headed into my third year and definitely have no regrets. I like to think of podiatry as the best kept secret in medicine, which might explain why you are having such a hard time finding online job listings. We are a profession of around 15000 doctors and most of the recruiting is done within the profession and not on monster.com. The monthly periodicals I receive from the APMA and Podiatry management are full of job opportunities and a great deal of residents have a job secured before graduation. Personally, I believe there has never been a better time to enter the profession. Currently GRE scores are okay, but that may be changing soon with the increasing competition of the applicant pool. I have met many awesome students in the PA program at DMU and I believe that PA's are an important part of the medical team, but if you have the desire to become a podiatric surgeon the sky truly is the limit and you should not let the negativity of a few dissuade you. There are unhappy doctors everywhere whether they are MDs DOs or DPMs. It has been my experience that their unhappiness with how things turned out for them has a great deal to do with them as a person and not the profession they have chosen. The best advice I can give you is to spend as much time as possible with a podiatrist who has graduated recently since there has been such a drastic change in our training over the past decade and decide for yourself if it seems like something you could enjoy. Good luck, with whatever you decide. :D

Nice post! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
avandreel said:
Hi-

Most of us here are students so we dont have personal experiences of the job market. There are some residents who frequent here who may give more insight on whether ot not their fellow residents and classmates are having problems finding jobs. This question has been posted many times but in good reason. It is important to understand what your future holds for you before committing to so much school. I have never met anyone who had a hard time finding a job. The prospects look very good as Gustydoc has mentioned. I dont think you need to worry too much about your financial future. Good luck.

I don't think I've ever met any doctor in any field of medicine that got a job through a job posting. It is usually always word of mouth and those seeking to hire a doctor usually contact residency directors.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the great replies. This all gives me a lot more confidence in applying. Very good point about there not being job listings for any kind of doctor, I don't know why that didn't occur to me. Anyways, thanks again for the sage advice everyone.