Job advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoobPharmD?

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just quick intro. I graduated from pharmacy school in 2017 and got licensed early 2018 in California. I am currently working for the state hospital. Put simply, I'm bored of my job. The state position, in my position, is extremely banal and non-stimulting education wise. I feel like I am wasting and forgetting everything I learned in pharmacy school if I continue with the state. Yes I know everyone raves about the benefits and whatnot of the state, but I don't care too much about that. What I seek is enjoyment of my job and currently I'm bored with pharmacy. Getting to the point, I've always had an interest in true crime/forensics. I need advice as to how to transition to this field. Anyone know about forensic pharmacy? I'm currently considering getting a degree in forensic toxicology, which would be the closest I've been able to find. Anyone got any input? I'm kind of interested in working for the dea/fda/fbi, but still stay in the health field. I'm not cut out for law enforcement field.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd agree that toxicology is probably the closest you'll get. I've talked to a couple FBI and DEA agents who said that pharmacists meet the educational requirements to apply for an 1811 series position but they were unaware of anything more closely related to pharmacy.

Jobs are most of the time boring, that is why you are paid to do them. Enjoyment and excitement are for hobbies. Sure forensics sounds exciting, but most of it is going to be pretty boring, it's not like CSI or TV.

You would likely be taking a huge pay cut to work in forensics. Personally, I'd work at the better paying, boring job, and thereby have a lot more money to spend on exciting and enjoyable hobbies.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starry eyed new grads always want to do more, learn more. I was one of them too.

Now I'm the grouchy senior pharmacist who just wants to staff.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Think about going to med school and pursuing pathology.

• Hmm
Think about going to med school and pursuing pathology.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Isn't pathology the most saturated of medical specialities?

And what happened to the ROTFL emoji?

Jobs are most of the time boring, that is why you are paid to do them. Enjoyment and excitement are for hobbies. Sure forensics sounds exciting, but most of it is going to be pretty boring, it's not like CSI or TV.

You would likely be taking a huge pay cut to work in forensics. Personally, I'd work at the better paying, boring job, and thereby have a lot more money to spend on exciting and enjoyable hobbies.

This. I WISH my job was boring. I would have more energy to actually do and enjoy things when I get off work, and my hair may not be graying and possibly balding.

I've pretty much accepted that I hate all work, and any amount of time I spend trying to find a job I like is wasted when I can be just making money and putting that towards early retirement instead. But if I were to pick being stressed out of mind vs being bored out of my mind, I'd certainly pick the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
forensic degree is trash. Get a chemistry degree instead and you are qualified for any forensic lab jobs and much more.

forensic degree is trash. Get a chemistry degree instead and you are qualified for any forensic lab jobs and much more.
chemistry degree is trash. Chemical Engineering is better. Chemists are a dime in a dozen.

OP wasted their time getting a PharmD if they want out after working less than 3 years...

OP wasted their time getting a PharmD if they want out after working less than 3 years...
I don't get it..It's been common knowledge that your average pharmacy job takes an over educated (mostly broke) hombre..tosses them into a nightmare of high speed drudgery..treats them like low level mopes and won't make even a stab at a long term career anymore....Is anyone at the input end paying attention?

Reactions: 2 users
This. I WISH my job was boring. I would have more energy to actually do and enjoy things when I get off work, and my hair may not be graying and possibly balding.

I've pretty much accepted that I hate all work, and any amount of time I spend trying to find a job I like is wasted when I can be just making money and putting that towards early retirement instead. But if I were to pick being stressed out of mind vs being bored out of my mind, I'd certainly pick the latter.
I wish my job was busy like yours so the day would go by faster. I know I'm different in thinking this way, but I'd rather be at a job that is more fulfilling than one that pays a lot, but boring asf. I want to feel that I actually worked for and earned my paycheck. Otherwise it'd be like being paid for doing nothing, which most wouldn't mind, but idk. I think differently I guess.

Different how? Right now it is just a discussion and you haven't left your stable and high paying job. I would love to check all 3 boxes. Stable. High pay. Stimulating. I can tell you right now that all 3 things together apply to very few jobs with a PharmD degree requirement.

I am confident you can find stable and exciting though.

I wish my job was busy like yours so the day would go by faster. I know I'm different in thinking this way, but I'd rather be at a job that is more fulfilling than one that pays a lot, but boring asf. I want to feel that I actually worked for and earned my paycheck. Otherwise it'd be like being paid for doing nothing, which most wouldn't mind, but idk. I think differently I guess.

Maybe not necessarily. If I was put in your situation for a long time, I might feel the same way as you. But I would be leveraging all that extra time to plan for additional streams of income. :)

I think it's all about trying to find a good balance, unfortunately this balance is hard to find, especially when you're working for greedy corporations who have too much power thanks to the overabundance of potential employees. When you're easily replaceable in the eyes of your employer who apparently cares more about expenses than the actual quality of work, you have no power.

Reactions: 1 users