Jefferson's program-What's the deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJditty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Jefferson. I hadn't heard much about the program previously but my residency director had said it has a good reputation so I applied. I was seriously considering the program but my visit was kind of shocking. The residents (4 of the 4 I met) told me not to come to the program and not one of them was happy. The residents claim they work untill 9pm often. This was not the main reason they were upset however. The main reason for their discontent was the lack of teaching. They feel they work really hard seeing the patients but receive no teaching. I have also heard that the attendings do not get along with each other. The attendings all seemed nice during the interview. After asking around it seems that the program has somewhat of a malignant reputation. It is a shame because it is in a nice area. Does anyone have any info on what is going on with this program? Should I even rank the program? How is living in Philly? Any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

interesting... i got the exact same impression interviewing there. after talking to a co-interviewee on the trail (same impression, residents said not to come), i've decided not to rank them. no point being misearble for 4 years.

despite the fact that Philly is kind of a fun place to live. (but if we're working 'till 9pm, who's gonna enjoy the fun of Philly?)

I suppose you'd rather not match at all than match at TJ if you're not ranking it? Unless of course, you're confident that you will match...

Members don't see this ad :)
confident that I'll match... gosh, not exactly. certainly no superstar candidate, and haven't gotten any phone calls.

but I have to say... even in programs where residents are not happy, I'd bet it's pretty easy for the program to hide that fact in the 1 day you/me/we interview there. the fact that so many of us got the same impression (I think you and I interviewed at Jefferson on the same day) -- the pervasive misery of residents -- and the residents openly telling some of us not to come -- that's a pretty strong signal. when I did my 3rd year surgery rotation, all the residents -- imagine how miserable they are -- still encouraged me to go into surgery.

if one's entire graduate medical training happens at a place where people are miserable, I think it will strongly influence the way one views the profession/career/patients. do I want to train at a place that will cloud the way I view my future career in radiation oncology? I'd rather not match than come out of a program jaded/burnt-out.

My original plan was to rank all the places I interview -- even the programs where I feel maybe "weaker" than others. but I draw the line at misery -- if I wanted that, I would've applied to other specialties.

Yeah Mr. NJ, What WAS up with that? But, those residents get high marks in my book. At least they told us the truth instead of sugar coating it! I'm with the music man on this one.

Joe