Jamaica Hospital Queens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed in their Family Med program. I know they have affiliations with Carribean schools and would appreciate any opinions you have of them.

Members don't see this ad.

i rotated through their int med program a few yrs ago. You'll do the same. the FP residents rotate through Int Med...
It is the toughest and most unpleasant experience you will probably ever encounter...
people are rude, the workload is very large, and no one seems to be capable of helping you. You will be exhausted everyday in that place.
The attendings are very malignant and will fire Int med residents with even the smallest excuse.
The FP program seems a little easier though. The surgery program is almost as bad. you will rotate through these depts..
The only good thing, is that you do end up learning a great deal.

I did several rotations there as well. I'm now a 3rd year FP resident. I think their IM rotation is weak there. The ob/gyn was excellent when I was there. I also did anesthesiology there and the attendings I worked with were nice. Well, most of them. I did surgery and trauma there as well. That was a lot of work. I learned in trauma.

If your going into FP, try to get into the western or mid-west programs. They are the best ones. Up-state NY also has some great programs. Big city FP programs are not known to be the best experience. That's what people tell me anyway. Minnesota and wisconsin have some good programs too.

good luck.
EH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamaica has had 1 resident fail the IM boards in the last 6 years. I wouldnt call that "weak". The national average is around 68-72 percent annually. Jamaica has been at 100% for 5 of the past 6 years. That should put it into perspective.

I was talking about the IM medical school rotation. That has nothing to do with how many residents pass the IM boards.
by the way the reason they pass the boards is because they are all from abroad and have practiced medicine a couple of years before they even get here.

if you go to a carribean school like st matthews what are your chances of matching at jamaica queens hospital for surgery, peds, or emergency medicine. I really want to do EM, but if I go to a carribean school would i have a chance of matching in the states?

Where is st mathewes? how many years has it been in existance? why would you want to go to a caribean medical school that has only been around for like 2 to 3 years.
There are many programs in the united states that won't even give residency to an fmg if the school has not been around for 10 to 20 years. Part of going to a caribean medical school is making sure that you get to the end of the game which = MD = residency = being abale to get a liscence in every state in the country.

watch out. not all can do this. the less the reputation of the school the less the chances of that ER residency. ER is a very competetive residency. YOU CAN GET ONE. NOT IN THE BEST ONE IN THE COUNTRY BUT YOU CAN GET ONE. Just don't go to some place that may reduce your chances. Do lots of research.

Good luck.

St. Matthews is in the Cayman Islands. I just started doing research. My back up plan is to go to a carribean school. I hear AUC is very cut throat and competitive, and doesnt give much financial aid. I dont want to go to Ross because I hear its a really bad environment. If you can give me some advice on AUC SMU or SGU id appreciate it.

If you don't like ross, try sgu, if you don't get in that one, try AUC.
I would not do any of the other ones. They have not been around long enough. SABA may be another choice but I don't know how much financial aid is avialable for them.
EH.

I went down this road a few years ago. Go SGU.

Originally posted by bubbajones
if you go to a carribean school like st matthews what are your chances of matching at jamaica queens hospital for surgery, peds, or emergency medicine. I really want to do EM, but if I go to a carribean school would i have a chance of matching in the states?

SGU has many folks who get into ER; if you want to know the incidence from a specific school check their web site. ER isn't as difficult as it once was.

I know of two EM program directors (SUNY Upstate in Syracuse, and Christiana Care in Delaware) who are also SGU graduates. I'm sure there are more out there (I'm just not too familiar with the EM world). Also, to reiterate what stephew said, many graduates from SGU go into EM.

Its a tough program to do your residency, but easy for IMGs to get in to a specialty of your choice.

i agree with ericha, your backup should be sgu, ross..especially if you want to do EM. Even US students are worried about getting EM b/c it's pretty competitive. i don't know enough about the newer schools so i can't comment. i was in your shoes a few years ago and ended up at my backup -sgu and it was probably one of the best things to have happened to me. i got a great residency and around 20 of my classmates got EM and some at great programs like Penn state, U of F, Duke, Wayne State, Uconn, etc. But there are no guarantees in life so the end, it all depends on how you do but the school def. helps esp. if you go foreign. Just make sure you do your research in terms of alumni success. All the best!

One more thing to consider.
you may end up not even liking EM.
Many people go to medical school thinking they like a specialty, they do rotations in that specialty and end up hating it.
Wherever you go. keep an open mind.
choose your specialty based on at least the following:

lifestyle
salary
competition
your chances of getting in
your board scores

EH.