IU vs LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoLunch-80

Reaction score
School 1: Indiana University
OOS -
Pros:
  • Decent program, Well-known School, has been around for a while
  • Don't mind the cold and Indianapolis didn't seem bad when I visited, I like the proximity to downtown Indy
  • Facilities seemed nice, in a Med campus area, just more of a Dental school feel
  • Typical schooling, normal lecture styling and clinical experience
  • Most likely GP, but at least there are specialty rotations
Cons:
  • Tuition is BIG, like one of the highest out of a lot of schools, hard to imagine paying an estimated 115K a YR for tuition
  • Don't see myself staying in Indiana after graduation, will most likely move back to FL (or TX)
School 2: LECOM
IS - FL Resident
Pros:
  • Significantly lower tuition - 65K a YR for tuition
  • I am familiar with the area, close to home, although I would still have to live in Bradenton by campus due to mandatory class
  • Faculty seem great
  • Apparently lots of early clinical work and experience with patients
  • I do see myself living in FL after graduation
Cons:
  • Much newer school - kind of notorious in FL (I hear mixed reviews about the graduates from dentists I shadowed)
  • PBL style of learning - not very familiar but I can live with it I suppose but also not looking forward to it
  • Campus is just a building, Bradenton is slower
  • Still most likely GP but would like to at least keep the possibility open
Summary:
I like IU as a program and school but I am having trouble with these tuition numbers, total estimated CoA is 140K a year. LECOM is much cheaper (almost half) at an estimated 80K CoA, but how new the school is and the current reputation in FL is also holding me back. Also not the biggest fan of PBL but lots of clinical work seems like I would gain experience. Just wondering how much I should consider school reputation/name when looking for work after graduation or when speaking with patients.

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: Indiana University
OOS -
Pros:
  • Decent program, Well-known School, has been around for a while
  • Don't mind the cold and Indianapolis didn't seem bad when I visited, I like the proximity to downtown Indy
  • Facilities seemed nice, in a Med campus area, just more of a Dental school feel
  • Typical schooling, normal lecture styling and clinical experience
  • Most likely GP, but at least there are specialty rotations
Cons:
  • Tuition is BIG, like one of the highest out of a lot of schools, hard to imagine paying an estimated 115K a YR for tuition
  • Don't see myself staying in Indiana after graduation, will most likely move back to FL (or TX)
School 2: LECOM
IS - FL Resident
Pros:
  • Significantly lower tuition - 65K a YR for tuition
  • I am familiar with the area, close to home, although I would still have to live in Bradenton by campus due to mandatory class
  • Faculty seem great
  • Apparently lots of early clinical work and experience with patients
  • I do see myself living in FL after graduation
Cons:
  • Much newer school - kind of notorious in FL (I hear mixed reviews about the graduates from dentists I shadowed)
  • PBL style of learning - not very familiar but I can live with it I suppose but also not looking forward to it
  • Campus is just a building, Bradenton is slower
  • Still most likely GP but would like to at least keep the possibility open
Summary:
I like IU as a program and school but I am having trouble with these tuition numbers, total estimated CoA is 140K a year. LECOM is much cheaper (almost half) at an estimated 80K CoA, but how new the school is and the current reputation in FL is also holding me back. Also not the biggest fan of PBL but lots of clinical work seems like I would gain experience. Just wondering how much I should consider school reputation/name when looking for work after graduation or when speaking with patients.
cheaper

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM is definitely not a new school anymore.. Pick LECOM since the price difference is significant

Reactions: 1 user