It's time to change medical school curriculum...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed. Many of the new residency programs seem of questionable quality as is. If an existing program was another slot or two, that's likely not a problem though.
Several physician job markets are actively dying because of over supply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Several physician job markets are actively dying because of over supply.
Even ignoring that (because no one outside of us cares), the training at some of the new places is going to be subpar. Its not like FM, you can open up a program almost anywhere and get decent training. Most specialties need large, high volume, high acuity training sites and most of those already had programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Tell that to the HMOs.

Also, knowing the students who fail to match at my school, no amount of change in medical school curriculum will remediate lazy, unrealistic, clueless, unteachable or sociopathic individuals.

I think the issue is that schools accept and graduate "lazy, unrealistic, clueless, unteachable or sociopathic individuals."

The onus should be on the medical schools to selectively weed these individuals out prior to matriculation, and CERTAINLY prior to graduation.

Expecting residencies to be able to do in a 15 minute Zoom interview what an entire multibillion-dollar industry couldn't do in 4 years is the real issue.

But I digress.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the issue is that schools accept and graduate "lazy, unrealistic, clueless, unteachable or sociopathic individuals."

The onus should be on the medical schools to selectively weed these individuals out prior to matriculation, and CERTAINLY prior to graduation.

Expecting residencies to be able to do in a 15 minute Zoom interview what an entire multibillion-dollar industry couldn't do in 4 years is the real issue.

But I digress.
Unfortunately, these type of people fly under the radar. Luckily for us they are not that common.

But I digress

Tell that to the HMOs.

Also, knowing the students who fail to match at my school, no amount of change in medical school curriculum will remediate lazy, unrealistic, clueless, unteachable or sociopathic individuals.
With this post, so what are your Real thoughts about your school’s Admissions Committee? How are they so off base?

With this post, so what are your Real thoughts about your school’s Admissions Committee? How are they so off base?
Saying that they are off base to me suggests they're picking the wrong people and rejecting the right people. I think instead the ad-comms have an impossible job if they're expected to predict who will succeed and fail. They do their best based off the data in front of them, but there's so much they likely won't see. It's also not like they're watching them for months, but really just reading their curated applications and the interviews for medical school are similarly short (<15 mins). The problem is that once in medical school, it's just hard to justify sending someone out even when there's evidence of an unstable or malignant personality. We once had someone after a M1 exam go on a tirade across the school knocking over payphones, swear at pleasant administrators, among other things. He/she was given a warning and had no further incidences until domestic violence charges were brought up late in M4 and he/she spent a night in jail. I'm not sure if these were brought to the attention of our medical school, but he/she is now a surgeon.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Here’s a novel idea. How about we just you know...expand the number of residency spots and shut down this idea that we need 7 new DO schools over the next 5 years?
You could be a top performing nursing manager on any floor. Let's just "fix" a problem by creating another one instead of just full court pressing the actual issue you mentioned: too many schools for no reason.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I was thinking about your question as I was walking the dog this morning. Like everything else in medicine, there a lot of nuances and context involved.
First of all this is an unusual Year. We're in the middle of a pandemic, don't you think that might have played something in the way the match turned out? An N of one is not a trend.

Second, as back2basics has pointed out, admissions committee members have a challenging job. First off, we're not mind readers. That would make our jobs a lot easier actually.

Secondly, there's no way of screening out people who aren't interested in a career in medicine, but are doing it just because the parents force them to. Do not underestimate the damage tiger parents can do.

Third, as med ed has alluded to, no matter how much good advising you can give people, you can't make them take their medicine, just as one can see with non-compliant patients.
Some people simply are advice-proof. I can probably come up with an interview question about that!

And is also mentioned, medical schools are loath to get rid of problematic students. We simply are addicted to the idea of helping people get across that graduation stage at the end of their four years.

I was thinking about your question as I was walking the dog this morning. Like everything else in medicine, there a lot of nuances and context involved.
First of all this is an unusual Year. We're in the middle of a pandemic, don't you think that might have played something in the way the match turned out? An N of one is not a trend.

Second, as back2basics has pointed out, admissions committee members have a challenging job. First off, we're not mind readers. That would make our jobs a lot easier actually.

Secondly, there's no way of screening out people who aren't interested in a career in medicine, but are doing it just because the parents force them to. Do not underestimate the damage tiger parents can do.

Third, as med ed has alluded to, no matter how much good advising you can give people, you can't make them take their medicine, just as one can see with non-compliant patients.
Some people simply are advice-proof. I can probably come up with an interview question about that!

And is also mentioned, medical schools are loath to get rid of problematic students. We simply are addicted to the idea of helping people get across that graduation stage at the end of their four years.
I hadn’t realized you were talking specifically about this one year.
However, as you alluded to, some new interview questions might be in order. :)

I hadn’t realized you were talking specifically about this one year.
However, as you alluded to, some new interview questions might be in order. :)
It's not specifically to this year. The issues are just like residency interviews, medical school interviews are snapshots into these people's character. If you wanted to be more accurate in your assessment of character, put people into a high stress environments over the course of a month and then have a one-way mirror with people with clipboards taking and then have the results discussed with granular detail at monthly adcom meetings to determine acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user