Is this too risky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsthepoint

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably better posted in the MD students forum where folks like @NotAProgDirector can help you more.

This is potentially a Hail Mary. You’ve already committed to a program, so you need to prove, and I quote, “unanticipated serious and extreme hardship, change of specialty, or ineligibility” for a waiver. You’re otherwise locked into your SOAP spot. Sorry that apparently committing to ortho didn’t work and you didn’t get something that made you happy on the back end. I believe I told you in another thread that a research position would be a good move but a 1-3 year gap, so I’m glad you understand the stakes.

Don’t know what waiver percentages are, but maybe you’ve got a shot if all your stars align. Your potential next application is already a little tough with the ortho mishap, then a waiver. Who’s to say you won’t flake on another adventure?

That’s fair. But since ophtho is SFMatch it shouldn’t matter right?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it's unclear whether you'll get a waiver for this. I expect not, given the timing. But I could be wrong.

A ban from the NRMP match will not allow you to get a prelim year for ophthal.

Although your school may have pressured you to do something, they can't force you to take a spot in SOAP. If they actually forced you in some way, then that might be the best option to try to undo it.

Also, looking at your post history, your interests seem all over the place. You've mentioned EM, Anesthesia, DR and IR.

And if you don't match ophthal and you're blocked from the NRMP match, you have nowhere to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.