Is This Study Bunk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doulos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dad posted a link to this cure-for-cancer article. The concept seemed good, but also simplistic.

It's my opinion that simple answers to complex problems are usually too good to be true. On the other hand, it's not a good idea to toss things out just because they are simple...otherwise we might not have antibiotics.

Anyway...here's the article: http://hubpages.com/hub/Scientists_cure_cancer__but_no_one_takes_notice

...and here's the link to the original study at the University of Alberta: http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/index.cfm

Please share your thoughts as to whether this is viable or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I read the headline and already knew it was bunk or not a true representation of the study, no need to continue reading.

I read the headline and already knew it was bunk or not a true representation of the study, no need to continue reading.

Wait a minute. Forget the HubPages article...the study says pretty much the same thing. Read that and then share.

You're right that the blogger could have given a false interpretation of the study findings...but when I read the study itself it does seem to line up with what that study is saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not a journal article. I think we all know the issues with non-peer reviewed articles.

I see that you are a pre-med, you'll learn more about this as you advance through your education. But it's good that you are curious and reading.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Forget the HubPages article...the study says pretty much the same thing. Read that and then share.

You're right that the blogger could have given a false interpretation of the study findings...but when I read the study itself it does seem to line up with what that study is saying.

There is no data here. The UAlberta thing is a PR page (from 2007), the HubPages thing is the Weekly World News version of a review of a PR blurb. The basic science is reasonable, the clinical relevance is unclear at best.

Here's a very basic piece of advice WRT cancer research and treatment.... Anytime someone says that they have a cure for "cancer" without specifying the type of cancer, they're lying. Full stop.

There may be some notoriety about this, but there are several phase I and II trials at reputable medical centers for its use in various cancers. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.