Is there a way to get the due date for a deposit for a seat to be extended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onestep_05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a deposit due in 2 weeks and it's $1500 (school 1). I interviewed a week ago with another school (school 2) that said they take 4-6 weeks to give you an admissions decision. I am in a very tight financial situation currently and was wondering if anyone has advice on how to navigate this. I am grateful to have been admitted to school 1 but school 2 is ultimately a much better fit for me. Paying 2 deposits (if I get admitted to the second school) will be extremely difficult for me given the large $ amounts.

Should I, a) contact school #2 and let them know the date I need to pay the deposit on another school and see if they are able to let me know their decision sooner? b) contact school #1 and ask if they are able to postpone the due date by a week or 2 due to financial hardship. Or are there any other options I should be considering?

Members don't see this ad.

Just email them and say you're waiting for a mid month paycheck to pay your deposit? I don't think you need to divulge that much info. They may or may not give you additional time.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in a similar situation and requested an extension from a DO school due to financial hardship/unexpected recent expenses/low income. I provided my FAFSA info already and I’m waiting for them to respond. I can’t say if they’ll approve of it but it’s worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will be more flexible than others, but you need to give enough details without totally showing any ulterior motives or intentions. This far away from second looks and orientation, you may get an admissions office to get approvals to extend a deadline. But that said, it has also been my experience that we lose a lot of people who ask for extensions sooner or later. My admins (not the adcom leadership but the financial admins) would emphasize to me, while we aren't hurting for cash (if we fill the class), you can't set new precedents and travel down the slippery slopes. We set deadlines and policies that we are charged to enforce.

Ask if there is a real emergency with your family that throws your life into complete disarray. So you can't go to the bank to get your certified check until it gets resolved... okay. I think the most time I extended for a deadline was 3 days for early January requests unless there was appropriate justification to convince my adcom leaders it would be okay for longer (say 7 days).

Some schools will be more flexible than others, but you need to give enough details without totally showing any ulterior motives or intentions. This far away from second looks and orientation, you may get an admissions office to get approvals to extend a deadline. But that said, it has also been my experience that we lose a lot of people who ask for extensions sooner or later. My admins (not the adcom leadership but the financial admins) would emphasize to me, while we aren't hurting for cash (if we fill the class), you can't set new precedents and travel down the slippery slopes. We set deadlines and policies that we are charged to enforce.

Ask if there is a real emergency with your family that throws your life into complete disarray. So you can't go to the bank to get your certified check until it gets resolved... okay. I think the most time I extended for a deadline was 3 days for early January requests unless there was appropriate justification to convince my adcom leaders it would be okay for longer (say 7 days).
Thank you so much for your input!