Is Step 2 important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dootdoodooo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 3rd year med student planning on applying to PRS this year. I'm currently scheduling courses for summer/fall and there is really no good time for me to take Step 2. I realize it doesn't require the 6 dedicated weeks like Step 1, but I have a really busy end of 3rd year and beginning on 4th year. Does it matter if I don't take it until Oct/Nov? I did well on Step 1 (250s) so I'm not trying to compensate for anything, but I don't want it to look like I'm purposely avoiding it. If it's something program directors are really interested in seeing, I will try to work something out.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a 3rd year med student planning on applying to PRS this year. I'm currently scheduling courses for summer/fall and there is really no good time for me to take Step 2. I realize it doesn't require the 6 dedicated weeks like Step 1, but I have a really busy end of 3rd year and beginning on 4th year. Does it matter if I don't take it until Oct/Nov? I did well on Step 1 (250s) so I'm not trying to compensate for anything, but I don't want it to look like I'm purposely avoiding it. If it's something program directors are really interested in seeing, I will try to work something out.

Thanks!

There is a school of though that if you blow up step I, then you should put off step II as it can only hurt you since it is unlikely that you will beat your step I score.

I happen to disagree with this, and I believe that nothing will diminish your step I score in the 250s. Especially since if you prepare well for the step 2, you are likely to get a reasonably good if not excellent score. When I am reviewing applications, I am more impressed with someone who has an excellent step 1 score, and a solid step 2 score than someone who has an excellent step 1 score and no step 2 score. I feel like the latter applicant is trying to game the system and is not confident enough to take a standardized test that he/she would probably rock anyway. It smells weak, and disingenuous to me. Whereas the applicant that prepared, and took step 2 early looks more honest, and confident.

Whenever you start doing, or not doing, things out of fear then you stop being a leader/winner, and start on the road to being a chump. I have spoken to a lot of my colleagues about this and most of them share my view on this,

Honestly, I don't think I've ever really looked at at Step 2 score. If it isn't present on your ERAS application, I might ask if you've taken it when I interview you (mostly to make sure you haven't totally put it off).

If I were you, I would try to go ahead and get it out of the way. While it has certainly changed since I took it back in (gulp) 2002, most accounts make it sound as though it remains fairly similar to Step 1. There's no reason not to get it out of the way. Unless you really bomb it, it won't hurt you.

1) In general, PRS applicants have great Step 1 scores; otherwise they likely aren't applying. Most people are in the situation where they have more to lose than gain. Ever heard of someone matching plastics because of their Step 2CK score? Like igap said: play to win. Playing not to lose is how champions fall.

2) Programs do NOT expect your Step 2CK score at the time interviews are granted (October through early November). I believe that getting interviews is the rate limiting step for matching, given that programs interview few people (20-40), and the match thereafter is largely based on where you want to go (very evident in this past cycle).

3) Ranks are due in February when most applicants will have a score reportable, and some programs including UCSF require Step 2CK for ranking. This means you need to take the test at latest early January. The last thing you want to do is take the test in the meat of interview season. Plus, many programs rank applicants right after the interview, in which case you may be judged as early as mid December. Take the test to time your score report sometime between interview invites and actual interviews (Sept- late Nov).

4) Your Step 2CK score is VERY likely to go up, even if you got a 270 on Step 1. That's because the curve for Step 2CK is easier than Step 1. The scaled mean for Step 1 is currently 222 (SD 24). The scaled mean for CK is 237 (SD 21). 2 standard deviations for Step 1 is a proud 270. 2 standard deviations for Step 2CK is a 279. This is why magically everyone always brags how they did better on CK. Break down the percentiles, and many actually do worse.

5) Just take the test whenever you have time. 2 months for Step 1, 2 weeks for Step 2, 2 #2 pencils for Step 3.