General Is my undergrad research experience poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate this spring and will have 1.5 years of research experience at the time of my graduation. My "research" involves working with a professor and choosing proteins, mostly those used in courses for professors like hemoglobin for example. I obtain a 3d model from a protein database, design a mold of it that is 3d printed, and basically use it to cast a more flexible life-like physical model of proteins to be used in curriculum development. A professor I am close with told me "I am shooting myself in the foot" with not having done actual bench work/ wet lab. What is your take? I am taking 2 gap years, should I aim to gain more research experience post-graduation? Thanks in advance I truly appreciate it.

Unless you're measuring outcomes of any changes from the curriculum development to determine the use of 3D printed models or something, then this isn't even research. It sounds like you're just developing a physical model of something that is already known about to help professors teach a class or two. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that you should aim for different research.

With that said, outside of the top institutions and research-heavy institutions, other factors are much more important compared with research (i.e. ECs, GPA, MCAT, work/life experience, etc). It's certainly a factor, but I'm ensure that everything else is solid before dedicating much more time to research.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.