MD & DO Is my summer “research” a waste of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djiboutiman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was hoping if anybody else has been in a similar situation. For some background, I met with a PI before the summer who told me I could help their lab with a few different interesting projects. This PI is fairly young and has published a lot recently. They were also very enthusiastic about me writing papers and putting my name as first author. I didn’t even ask about this, they just volunteered that information. They have let other students co-author papers before so I didn’t think this was a stretch.

When I actually started this position, I was told instead of working on these projects, I would be implementing a technique for this lab that would help data processing run quicker. Since I only have the summer, this would probably take my entire summer break. The PI assured me that they would put my name on all papers using this process after I leave the lab, but I can’t help but feel like it‘s an empty promise. At least the position pays well.

Should I trust the PI? Should I keep working on this project despite my limited time? If I waste my time this summer, am I able to do research in M2-M4? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

this is kinda tough. if PI is being truthful and they'll put your name on everything that uses the process sure it'll work out but you have no guarantee of that. your name isnt gonna be on the paper until they submit to the journal with it included. that said, if its paying well I say stick to it so you dont pull out and look bad but try and find some clinical projects on the side with someone else. youll have plenty of time if you manage it well to do research in the future if it doesnt work out

Reactions: 1 user
Was hoping if anybody else has been in a similar situation. For some background, I met with a PI before the summer who told me I could help their lab with a few different interesting projects. This PI is fairly young and has published a lot recently. They were also very enthusiastic about me writing papers and putting my name as first author. I didn’t even ask about this, they just volunteered that information. They have let other students co-author papers before so I didn’t think this was a stretch.

When I actually started this position, I was told instead of working on these projects, I would be implementing a technique for this lab that would help data processing run quicker. Since I only have the summer, this would probably take my entire summer break. The PI assured me that they would put my name on all papers using this process after I leave the lab, but I can’t help but feel like it‘s an empty promise. At least the position pays well.

Should I trust the PI? Should I keep working on this project despite my limited time? If I waste my time this summer, am I able to do research in M2-M4? Thanks for the help.
Depends, does he/she have a track record of putting trainees on papers? If I tell someone they are going to be on a paper or a first author or whatever, I mean it. I suspect this person is probably being honest, but if you look at their papers and they've never included a trainee, then I would be skeptical. That being said, you can still write that research experience in your ERAS application and if you enjoy it and learn something, that's great.

I will say, being only mid-career myself, usually young PIs 1) want to help people, 2) want to build bridges that may pay off in the future, 3) need publications for promotion. That typically will work in a trainees favor if they show effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s hard to get anything done in one summer, let alone a first author paper. I wouldn’t say it’s a waste.

No. I'd leave and look for another project. The secret of being a PI (and any marketer) is making big offers to get students to work for you. I've been burned hard multiple times falling for this hook.

Your ability to do research in M2-M3 will be constrained. You need to have something to show on your app by M4 (submitted paper, multiple abstracts, etc.)

Look for someone else with a R01 grant. It demonstrates that they're a serious researcher and a good mentor. You can work on this PI's technique as a side project, but making it your main is a sure-set way to ensure failure.

I'd also encourage you to read: When NOT to work for free while building a career in research and academia

I think that the absolute most important skill that any researcher/academic/person must develop is the ability to say no. The pathway forward is littered with opportunities that aren’t really opportunities, that don’t get you anywhere, that suck your time without providing anything for you in return. Nearly all of those false opportunities will involve you working for free, since money is a return of course. Not all free work is bad, much of it is important as I will discuss in later blog posts. But a good amount of it is a time and energy sink that will get you nowhere or worse. How, then, should one separate the time sinks from the genuinely positive experiences? I can’t say I have all the answers, but I do have some questions for you to consider.

No. I'd leave and look for another project. The secret of being a PI (and any marketer) is making big offers to get students to work for you. I've been burned hard multiple times falling for this hook.

Your ability to do research in M2-M3 will be constrained. You need to have something to show on your app by M4 (submitted paper, multiple abstracts, etc.)

Look for someone else with a R01 grant. It demonstrates that they're a serious researcher and a good mentor. You can work on this PI's technique as a side project, but making it your main is a sure-set way to ensure failure.

I'd also encourage you to read: When NOT to work for free while building a career in research and academia
R01 is a good idea but a lot of it is basic science, which can be a waste of time** unless it has a clinical research component

**as in it'll take too long, but the basic science paper in the end will be definitely worth it