Is it worth sending a letter of intent after interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am having an internal debate about whether or not I should send a letter of intent to Duke at this point in the process. I cannot seem to find a straight answer or good advice from anyone. Here is the situation.

So far I have only interviewed at two schools, Duke being one of them. Of these two, Duke would absolutely be my top choice. I love the school, had a really strong interview, and know that I would be happy as a student here, especially given their accelerated and research heavy curriculum. I am also an alum so I know that I like Durham and am a huge basketball fan haha. I was complete in July, and despite only having two interviews so far, I still have 13 schools that have not rejected me. Two of these have put me on pre-interview hold (including Maryland, my state school). I have gotten 12 rejections. I am concerned that if I do commit to Duke, I am sort of backing myself into a corner if any of the other schools decide this late in the game to interview me. Also, I don't know if a letter of intent will even have any bearing at this point, given that I am not on the waitlist at this point, and I have not received any acceptances.

Obviously if I send in a letter of intent and get accepted in March, I will absolutely attend and be happy and will keep my word. My concern is whether I am jumping the gun (what are the odds I'll get more interviews at this point?) and that admissions committees won't care. Does anybody have any advice or information about this? Any information will be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think sending a letter of intent right now would do much for you, unless Duke said at the interview day to absolutely send them. The reason being is that it won't mean anything to them; they don't know if you've interviewed at 20 schools and this is truly the school for you or if it's your only interview so it's your only chance. Most schools view letters of intent sent now as an empty message. At least, this is how a couple different schools described it to me on interview day. After April 30, letters of intent mean much more. Might as well wait until the decision comes out and see if you get any more interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would file it under can't really hurt but probably won't help. I didn't apply to Duke so I don't know how they feel about these letters. I think most schools don't change what they're doing based on them, but in your situation it can't hurt. At least in my opinion.

I think a letter of intent would be much more helpful if you were waitlisted.

Saying that you'll attend if admitted doesn't really hold any weight (Letter of intent), but saying you enjoyed your time for xyz reasons does. This has been my impression from asking most of the schools I interviewed at. But like @mw18 said, how could it possibly hurt you? I feel like 90% of the questions on SDN could be answered with "Why not?".

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think sending a letter of intent right now would do much for you, unless Duke said at the interview day to absolutely send them. The reason being is that it won't mean anything to them; they don't know if you've interviewed at 20 schools and this is truly the school for you or if it's your only interview so it's your only chance. Most schools view letters of intent sent now as an empty message. At least, this is how a couple different schools described it to me on interview day. After April 30, letters of intent mean much more. Might as well wait until the decision comes out and see if you get any more interviews.

Wouldn't a well written letter of intent earlier in the game mean more? Especially if you are deferred at a school and they re-evaluate all of their deferred applicants every 2 weeks? You are basically saying that despite the fact you may receive other offers, you are still confident that this school is your #1 choice. It's not like you can send letters of intent to more than 1 school

It's not like you can send letters of intent to more than 1 school

but... you can? these are non-binding documents which is probably the primary reason for them meaning little to adcoms.

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't a well written letter of intent earlier in the game mean more? Especially if you are deferred at a school and they re-evaluate all of their deferred applicants every 2 weeks? You are basically saying that despite the fact you may receive other offers, you are still confident that this school is your #1 choice. It's not like you can send letters of intent to more than 1 school
I think the rationale for later is that it doesn't influence who they accept the first time but it may affect who they pull off the waitlist when they need to fill their class. Why an earlier letter doesn't serve the purpose you mentioned as well as that? Seems like it would.

It really depends on the school. I didn't apply to Duke and I don't know how they review applicants. If they do a process like you said and encourage activity from applicants, then yes, it probably would make a difference. But if they aren't rolling and admit/waitlist everyone in March, then I don't think it would hold much weight.

It really depends on the school. I didn't apply to Duke and I don't know how they review applicants. If they do a process like you said and encourage activity from applicants, then yes, it probably would make a difference. But if they aren't rolling and admit/waitlist everyone in March, then I don't think it would hold much weight.

True it really just depends on the school

but... you can? these are non-binding documents which is probably the primary reason for them meaning little to adcoms.

Technically? yeah sure go ahead

Is it risky and unethical to do so? Not to mention if schools communicate with each other or if you happen to get accepted to more than one of those schools? Of course

BU made a great point in a spiel they gave on my interview day that is in line with what @flapjack3d said.

Schools get a TON of letters like this right after the interview, and it holds no weight. If you want to have your letter stand out more, make sure there is a least a few weeks between when you send it and when you interviewed, otherwise it looks like you didn't take any time to actually consider what you're saying. And be very specific about WHY it's your top pick. A general "I love this school and would come here if admitted" doesn't convince them that you're telling the truth, but a thoughtfully composed letter with specifics about why you've decided this is your top pick carries more weight. Whether or not this will make a significant impact, I don't know, but it definitely will benefit you to write the best letter you can if you send one.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate candidate???

If you were a hot chick, would you believe the guy that said "but I'll still respect you in the morning!"

????

Hi everybody,

I am having an internal debate about whether or not I should send a letter of intent to Duke at this point in the process. I cannot seem to find a straight answer or good advice from anyone. Here is the situation.

So far I have only interviewed at two schools, Duke being one of them. Of these two, Duke would absolutely be my top choice. I love the school, had a really strong interview, and know that I would be happy as a student here, especially given their accelerated and research heavy curriculum. I am also an alum so I know that I like Durham and am a huge basketball fan haha. I was complete in July, and despite only having two interviews so far, I still have 13 schools that have not rejected me. Two of these have put me on pre-interview hold (including Maryland, my state school). I have gotten 12 rejections. I am concerned that if I do commit to Duke, I am sort of backing myself into a corner if any of the other schools decide this late in the game to interview me. Also, I don't know if a letter of intent will even have any bearing at this point, given that I am not on the waitlist at this point, and I have not received any acceptances.

Obviously if I send in a letter of intent and get accepted in March, I will absolutely attend and be happy and will keep my word. My concern is whether I am jumping the gun (what are the odds I'll get more interviews at this point?) and that admissions committees won't care. Does anybody have any advice or information about this? Any information will be helpful!

How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate candidate???

If you were a hot chick, would you believe the guy that said "but I'll still respect you in the morning!"

????

Still don't think there is anything wrong with letting your #1 choice let them know they are indeed your #1 choice, along with updating them on your continued activities. Don't need to be desperate at all.

Except that to every applicant, every school is their #1 choice.

Still don't think there is anything wrong with letting your #1 choice let them know they are indeed your #1 choice, along with updating them on your continued activities. Don't need to be desperate at all.

Sending the love note shows desperation, except to those schools that like to see people grovel, like Gtown.

Goro, how do you have this information? Do you work for an admissions committee or know that admissions committee think it looks desperate, or are you presuming?

I'm an Adcom member, and I also listen to other Adcom members. I also see the things people post here that confirm, year after year, why we treat these things as about as truthfully as a Donald Trump promise.

Goro, how do you have this information? Do you work for an admissions committee or know that admissions committee think it looks desperate, or are you presuming?

I'm an Adcom member, and I also listen to other Adcom members. I also see the things people post here that confirm, year after year, why we treat these things as about as truthfully as a Donald Trump promise.

Well I recently sent a letter of intent to my favorite school which I'm currently deferred at, so I hope they don't perceive it as desperate. I guess it's too late to be second guessing myself at this point.

I have a few questions. I'm debating on whether to sent letter of intent to my top choice. I know I would attend that institution regardless of the circumstances. I feel like there's a clear separation between LOInterest and LOIntent. Like interest is post-interview pre-decision, but doesn't say intent to attend, which is a LOIntent. But why couldn't it be both? Why couldn't a post-interview letter be both "Why I love school XYZ", AND "I WILL attend?".

For me, I know that the admissions committee makes a decision quite soon after you interview (but all decisions released mid-february), and I interviewed there this week. Let's say this med school has no "dearth" of applicants, and in general probably gets a lot of letters of intent (most probably after the decision). They say that they accept roughly 1/3 of their interviewees to get the desired yield. I have clear reasons XYZ on why I think my top choice is a best fit for me that are school specific, right down to the names of labs, student groups, city name. I have an update, and I would like to state my intention of attending if accepted no matter what. Is it worth sending one in before they make a decision?

Last edited:
I have a few questions. I'm debating on whether to sent letter of intent to my top choice. I know I would attend that institution regardless of the circumstances. I feel like there's a clear separation between LOInterest and LOIntent. Like interest is post-interview pre-decision, but doesn't say intent to attend, which is a LOIntent. But why couldn't it be both? Why couldn't a post-interview letter be both "Why I love school XYZ", AND "I WILL attend?".

For me, I know that the admissions committee makes a decision quite soon after you interview (but all decisions released mid-february), and I interviewed there this week. Let's say this med school has no "dearth" of applicants, and in general probably gets a lot of letters of intent (most probably after the decision). They say that they accept roughly 1/3 of their interviewees to get the desired yield. I have clear reasons XYZ on why I think my top choice is a best fit for me that are school specific, right down to the names of labs, student groups, city name. I have an update, and I would like to state my intention of attending if accepted no matter what. Is it worth sending one in before they make a decision?
It will be filed with all the other love letters. Here's what the wise Med ed has to say on the subject:

[What med schools…] accept and desire are two different things. My institution, for instance, will accept practically anything a given applicant wants to forward along, but only rarely do we consider it a worthwhile addition to the package.

And yes, some of us have gotten a little jaded about LOI's. I could fill a barrel with all the post-interview correspondence I have received that has not translated into a single matriculant. This has all gotten mighty complicated and burdensome for what is essentially a zero sum game.

It's generally not burdensome for an applicant to upload something to the portal, and once in a great while it does tip us off with some useful info. I can think of one individual who had a stellar application, like Harvard/Yale/Stanford-worthy, and a superb interview, who sent us several updates and a LOI. We were somewhat perplexed by this person's tenacious interest in our program. Turns out there were family/geographical reasons behind the whole thing, the applicant just never felt comfortable directly playing that card.

When it comes down to waitlist time I will scan through what folks have uploaded post-interview. The vast majority of times it has no impact. Occasionally I have seen it hurt people's chances. Come to think of it, in my experience this is probably more likely, than such correspondence having a positive impact.

See https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/loi-and-interviews.1252832/#post-18849958

I told a school I'd go if accepted, now not so sure

for classic examples of why most Admissions deans treat these as lies.

RE: LOI We only invite amazing students to interview. It is quite unlikely that further good deeds or achievements will have an effect since only the students who have already wowed us are interviewed.

Come to think of it, in my experience this is probably more likely, than such correspondence having a positive impact.

In what way would it hurt? I'm curious as to how med admissions committee members woudl think it would hurt.

You can appear to be either lying, desperate or needy. They already know that you're interested; you sent them an application.

What about Mayo, which seems to request if not almost require Letters of Intent. How does it change with a school like that?

(I should note that I did not interview at Mayo, so this is just out of interest)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What about Mayo, which seems to request if not almost require Letters of Intent. How does it change with a school like that?

(I should note that I did not interview at Mayo, so this is just out of interest)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Needy schools are the exception.