Is it worth it to purchase the most current FA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadIsFat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 taking Step 1 in May. I have the 2020 FA for Step 1. Are the changes between editions typically big enough for me to purchase the 2022 edition? Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

M2 taking Step 1 in May. I have the 2020 FA for Step 1. Are the changes between editions typically big enough for me to purchase the 2022 edition? Any advice appreciated!
N=1 but I'd say no. I had two copies of FA when I tested and there weren't enough differences to make it worth worrying about.

And now that step 1 is pass/fail, watch First Aid sales plummet

Reactions: 1 user
N=1 but I'd say no. I had two copies of FA when I tested and there weren't enough differences to make it worth worrying about.

I’m actually going to say the opposite. I thought it was worth it.

However, it may depend on the gap between editions. I had a 2019 freebie and bought a 2021 and was glad I did because not only were there better learning aids, the tables were far better. I am a visual learner and I use photographic memory so good tables/figures means better retention.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
na not worth it just get the cheapest one. P/F step makes it even a little less important now

Too many people here just speculating who probably didn't even take their advice (i.e. purchased multiple editions). Just purchase the latest edition. Each year the mnemonics, advanced organizers, and formatting gets better even if there's a minuscule content difference.

1.) It's still a critical exam. If you fail, it's a big problem.
2.) Step 2 CK builds on Step 1. The harder you work on the former, the easier you're going to make it on yourself for the latter.
3.) It's $50. You've made worse investments.

(signed Tao Le and Vikas Bhushan)

Reactions: 2 users

I'd bet the F rate increases too.