Is it worth it to obtain multiple state licenses while looking for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1100659

Currently im working in one state, but there was a really good job offer in another state. However, they say it takes 3-4 months to obtain a state license there and they needed someone quicker so it didnt work out.

So im just wondering is it smart to obtain licenses in a couple states im job searching to make more competitive and make the job change easier?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would only make sense if you felt confident you would be moving to that state (or really want to go there), in which case it is a great idea. Otherwise it seems like a lot of hassle.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that would only make sense if you felt confident you would be moving to that state (or really want to go there), in which case it is a great idea. Otherwise it seems like a lot of hassle.
Agreed. Also keep in mind that some states offer a fast track if you practice a majority of the time in your "home state." I have a pp in my state, but do consultations in many others. So I am going to do the fast track when needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having multiple licenses is a pain. Costs more. Renewals cost money in years to come.
States do odd rules and things or have odd CME requirements.

HIV education was a flavor of the month CME requirement.
Now 'Equity' 'diversity' 'inclusion' etc are going to pop up as special CME requirements for some states. Do you really want the extra headache of keeping track of the all the specially legislated CME requirements of different states?

Chances are, if a job can't wait to onboard a new doc, it wasn't a quality job. A quality job is willing to wait for a quality candidate and figure things for short term to make it work before you start.

This job will likely pop up again in 1-2 years.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with Sushi. I'd only shoot for more than 1 if you live on the border of a state and have patients across that border, or if you are seriously considering working in another state whose bureaucracy is such that it can take months to get a license. Last time I heard those states are NJ, CA and FL. In NJ it takes about 1 year to get your license. Seriously. So if considering working there you need to get the license ahead of time or close to it.

Agree with Sushi. I'd only shoot for more than 1 if you live on the border of a state and have patients across that border, or if you are seriously considering working in another state whose bureaucracy is such that it can take months to get a license. Last time I heard those states are NJ, CA and FL. In NJ it takes about 1 year to get your license. Seriously. So if considering working there you need to get the license ahead of time or close to it.

Ugh, florida takes a while too?

I haven't familiarized myself with Florida but heard from several doctors that the problem is so many people vacation in Florida that there's doctors who want to live there a few weeks, do some locum work so they got a license in Florida. After years of this the Florida allegedly was upset because they didn't have an accurate tally of who was a real permanent doctor vs someone there just a few weeks so they made it very difficult to get one.

A few friends of mine wanted to move to Florida and they told me their problem was to get a FL license an MD/DO already in FL with a license needs to endorse them. Their problem was they were moving there and didn't know any MDs or DOs so this made that process next to impossible. So if that's still the case, unless you already have an employer with an MD or DO that can endorse you it'll be difficult, but like I said it's been a long time so things might've changed.