Is it wise to apply and defer this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of writing MSTP apps right now (have requested all letters of rec and gotten draft of personal statement done), but I'm wondering what you guys think about deferral regarding this situation...

Essentially, I am thinking of applying and possibly deferring a year to get a masters in electrical engineering. I want to build up quantitative/engineering skills to do neuroscience tool development in grad school. Since I've already gotten letters and worked on the app a bit, I was thinking it would be ideal to apply this year and defer if possible, although I know that's no guarantee.

I have a very solid GPA, MCAT, and research record, so I'm sure I would fair alright in this cycle, but it could be advantageous apply next cycle and to have one more year of schooling and research. But like I said I am hesitant to throw away the work I've done on apps so far. Any recommendations on applying now or waiting?

My ideal scenario would be applying this year, getting in somewhere, and hopefully being granted a deferral to finish a masters at my existing school. If I'm not granted a deferral, I could still see myself enrolling straight to the MSTP program if it is one I really like! If I get multiple acceptances, maybe there's the possibility of feeling out how different schools feel about deferrals?

Thanks for your guys advice! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve met several people at interviews who are either deferring this year or are entering their program this year after deffering last year. Many schools seem open to it, given a good reason.

Just to clarify: are you still in undergraduate now, or in the first year of continued education?

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve met several people at interviews who are either deferring this year or are entering their program this year after deffering last year. Many schools seem open to it, given a good reason.

Just to clarify: are you still in undergraduate now, or in the first year of continued education?

Thanks for the response, TurtleGnome! I'm a junior undergraduate, so working on apps for this coming AMCAS app that opens May 2. I would ideally apply to this now, then apply to a coterminal program at my undergrad institution during my senior year. This would allow me to finish my undergrad and masters in five years total, resulting in a one year deferral.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! So I applied last cycle and am finally finishing up (and starting school very soon...!) Anyways, I don’t really see why you need to defer to get a masters, since ultimately you will be getting a PhD. Even if it is to sharpen or acquire new skills, you can do that in the lab you join during your PhD. Sometimes masters degrees (especially thesis-based) take longer than expected depending on how the research goes, so that’s another thing to consider. There is one circumstance, however, that I can see why going your path (I.e: doing a 1-year masters) would be a good option for someone who doesn’t need remedial/post-bacc work and that is if you aren’t sure about either the MD or the PhD and need more time and/or experience to see if it’s the right career for you. But that’s a question you’ll have to ask yourself. My two cents! I hope it helps you and good luck! You’ll do great in any case!

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of writing MSTP apps right now (have requested all letters of rec and gotten draft of personal statement done), but I'm wondering what you guys think about deferral regarding this situation...

Essentially, I am thinking of applying and possibly deferring a year to get a masters in electrical engineering. I want to build up quantitative/engineering skills to do neuroscience tool development in grad school. Since I've already gotten letters and worked on the app a bit, I was thinking it would be ideal to apply this year and defer if possible, although I know that's no guarantee.

I have a very solid GPA, MCAT, and research record, so I'm sure I would fair alright in this cycle, but it could be advantageous apply next cycle and to have one more year of schooling and research. But like I said I am hesitant to throw away the work I've done on apps so far. Any recommendations on applying now or waiting?

My ideal scenario would be applying this year, getting in somewhere, and hopefully being granted a deferral to finish a masters at my existing school. If I'm not granted a deferral, I could still see myself enrolling straight to the MSTP program if it is one I really like! If I get multiple acceptances, maybe there's the possibility of feeling out how different schools feel about deferrals?

Thanks for your guys advice! I really appreciate it.
Hi

Hi there! So I applied last cycle and am finally finishing up (and starting school very soon...!) Anyways, I don’t really see why you need to defer to get a masters, since ultimately you will be getting a PhD. Even if it is to sharpen or acquire new skills, you can do that in the lab you join during your PhD. Sometimes masters degrees (especially thesis-based) take longer than expected depending on how the research goes, so that’s another thing to consider. There is one circumstance, however, that I can see why going your path (I.e: doing a 1-year masters) would be a good option for someone who doesn’t need remedial/post-bacc work and that is if you aren’t sure about either the MD or the PhD and need more time and/or experience to see if it’s the right career for you. But that’s a question you’ll have to ask yourself. My two cents! I hope it helps you and good luck! You’ll do great in any case!

Hi

Thanks for the reply! I do think the masters could be very helpful for me, particularly to bolster my computational background before embarking in PhD studies that are inherently very computational in nature. I don't think it would work very well to be learning all of that stuff on top of trying to be productive in the lab. Additionally, the coterm program here has no thesis requirement, so I would almost certainly make it out after one year. No concerns of having to finish a research project and writing it up (though it would be nice to do if possible).

Trust me - try to finish your MSTP training as soon as possible, I would not take the year out for a MS. You will have ample free time to learn what you need to learn during grad school. The training is long enough, this trend of people taking years off before starting is worrisome and really should be discouraged by MSTP leadership.

If you really want to do this masters program, what do you gain by applying this year rather than next?

You've said you don't want to throw away the work you've done so far -- but why would you need to? You'd have to spend 10 minutes emailing your LOR writers to let them know you've decided to wait another year, and find a place to 'park' your drafts for a year so you can find them again -- but not exactly big hurdles. Doesn't sound like your MCAT would expire so quickly...

I agree with the above posters that there are three options here:
  1. Apply this cycle and hop on the MSTP train right after undergrad
  2. Apply next cycle after completing the masters
  3. Apply this cycle, defer an acceptance for a year while completing the masters
I've listed these in descending order of my preference if I were in this situation.