Is it true

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IS it really true that neurosurgeons really dont have a life? :(

Members don't see this ad.

zidanereal2003 said:
you will be working 60-80 = almost no life to spend with your kids your wife your friends

well, I am a female. So I guess its harder if at all I want to have a family.

re:

IS it really true that neurosurgeons really dont have a life?

no! it is (really) not true!

most neurosurgeons enjoy wonderful lives!!!
are you kidding?

neurosurgeons enjoy life in ways most folks will never understand!
neurosurgeons (can) enjoy life by being good neurosurgeons.

"knowing what is enough is freedom.
knowing when to stop is safety.
practice these, and you'll endure."

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a neurosurgeon in private practice who manages to have a life. He sees patients in his office on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays. He is in the OR on Tuesdays, and he takes Wednesdays and weekends off.

I don't know how much money he makes every year, but he has a nice house, a stay-at-home wife, and two daughters who attend different medical schools out of state (tuition and living expenses all paid by dear ol' dad).

Sounds like a wonderful life to me!

Heathcliff said:
I know a neurosurgeon in private practice who manages to have a life. He sees patients in his office on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays. He is in the OR on Tuesdays, and he takes Wednesdays and weekends off.

I don't know how much money he makes every year, but he has a nice house, a stay-at-home wife, and two daughters who attend different medical schools out of state (tuition and living expenses all paid by dear ol' dad).

Sounds like a wonderful life to me!

Is he doing all spine/back cases or does he actually get to do some head cases as well?

I was his patient a few years ago. I had a craniopharyngioma (basically, a calcified pituitary tumor), and he performed a craniotomy to remove it.

I don't know if he handles more spine/back cases than head cases, but he did a nice job with my surgery. I say this because craniopharyngiomas tend to return within one year after they are removed. My surgery was eight years ago, and I am still tumor free! :clap:

Heathcliff said:
I was his patient a few years ago. I had a craniopharyngioma (basically, a calcified pituitary tumor), and he performed a craniotomy to remove it.

I don't know if he handles more spine/back cases than head cases, but he did a nice job with my surgery. I say this because craniopharyngiomas tend to return within one year after they are removed. My surgery was eight years ago, and I am still tumor free! :clap:
Hey,
Does this neurosurgeon practice in small town or urban areas. Is there a difference in working hours between the two. Like say more working hours in urban areas vs less working hours in small town or vice versa. thanks.

His practice is in New Orleans, Louisiana. According to Iserson's Getting Into A Residency, 6th ed. (page 132): "Across the United States, the highest physician incomes are in the West-South-Central states (AR, LA, OK, TX), while the lowest are in New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) and the Pacific states (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)."

Louisiana has had effective tort reform laws in place since 1975. The state also has a physician-led medical liability insurance company. The company's website is www.lammico.com.

I don't know if there is a difference in working hours between doctors who work in urban areas vs. small towns. I imagine that doctors who work in solo practices work more hours than doctors who work in group practices, regardless of location.

thanks for the info. dude, Pretty insightful. I guess it depends on one's business skills and personal preferences when it comes to work time/hours.

zidanereal2003 said:
To answer your question, it all depends where you will work after graduation. If you decide for example to work overseas in a country

What if you're working overseas, but not in a country?