Is it too soon to start looking at specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Aggiedent

This is my first week as a DS1 at UTHSC-SA Dental School (!) and for some time I've already been giving thought to specializing in OMS. When should I start making myself a good candidate for that, and even more how do I start? Do I make myself known to the OMS dept and hope for externships? Please give me advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing you can do your first 2 years is make good grades. Research is OK, but don't let in interfere with your grades because class rank and board scores are what get you interviews. In your 3rd year you can worry about getting to know the OMS residents and faculty.

I would also do some externships after your 2nd or 3rd year (or both). These are rotations at other OMS programs where you don't have any dental school responsibilities back home. This is also where most people find out if they really like OMS and all that it entails. It's different than the other specialties because of the odd hours you work and dealing with patients who are more sick/injured than the other dental specialties. One of my classmates was dead-set on doing OMS until he did an externship. He decided that getting up in the middle of the night for a facial fracture got old really quick. Everyone has their own priorities and interests.

toofache32 said:
The best thing you can do your first 2 years is make good grades. Research is OK, but don't let in interfere with your grades because class rank and board scores are what get you interviews. In your 3rd year you can worry about getting to know the OMS residents and faculty.

I would also do some externships after your 2nd or 3rd year (or both).

Great advice. I'll second that. When I was interviewing, I was curious as to what part of my CV was the weakest. Every single interviewer told me that they would have liked to see that I had done more than the one externship or gotten more hospital experience. So, I did only one externship and did very little research, but I had good grades, class rank, and board scores. Those are key, the rest is a little less cut and dry. Work hard, but don't forget to have fun.

Aggiedent said:
This is my first week as a DS1 at UTHSC-SA Dental School (!) and for some time I've already been giving thought to specializing in OMS. When should I start making myself a good candidate for that, and even more how do I start? Do I make myself known to the OMS dept and hope for externships? Please give me advice.
Hey, Aggiedent, Whoops:
_done_0121horns.jpg

I went to UTHSCSA, and I wanted to be an oral surgeon since my sophomore year of high school. Toofache is right, make good grades. If I had made really good grades it would have made my life easier.

Still, while I was at UTHSCSA I made friends with Dr. Weaker and Dr. Williams in the anatomy department. I took extra time dissecting my cadaver. I also took a summer elective in anatomy after my first years. B/c I did those things I was able to become an anatomy tutor and TA later in dental school. That looks good on the resume.

I did some minor research with a guy in the OMS department that is no longer there. I went to the oral surgery department and told Startzell's secretary, Liz, that I wanted to do oral surgery and asked if anyone was doing research I could help out with. The school also has an annual table clinic contest that Dr. Mansutto from prosthodontics runs. If you win, which I did, you can present your table clinic at the national ADA meeting. Free trip and good for the resume. It wasn't hard to win at our school--there were only three of us me year.

Finally, I did externships. You should too if you're interested in OMS.

Man, I'm envious of you. I miss San Antonio. Go out to Gruene Hall and drink a beer for me. I'll be in San Antonio in October doing a month of oral pathology. Maybe I'll see you around. Good luck.