Is it too late to shadow a DO now and add it on my "Experiences" on my primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I shadow a DO even if it's this late into the cycle?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

sopiperlacia

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to SND so sorry if I am doing anything wrong. Just to give a little background information...

Currently I am in the middle of doing my secondary applications for DO schools. I submitted my primary application in July but I am still waiting for my college's committee letter packet to arrive to AACOMAS (I know it's a little late...) I am currently a scribe in the ED and I have shadowed an MD for about 200 hours and received a recommendation letter from him. I have already submitted 3 secondary applications to Western University, LECOM, and NYITCOM. Some secondaries ask about "why osteopathic medicine," and through research and talking to my cousin who is a DO and a graduate from NYITCOM, I was able to receive some insight and write a response.

However, after reading a lot of posts about the "requirement" of shadowing a DO and obtaining a rec letter from one, I was wondering if I should reach out to DOs in my area and shadow them? Is it too late because I have already submitted my secondaries for some schools? And if I do shadow a DO, should I wait to complete my hours before sending in anymore secondaries?

I am aware it is prime time to be submitting applications which is why I am so worried about being late especially with a DO shadowing experience.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late in the cycle, I think if you have your updated app submitted by mid-September you are fine honestly. However, from my understanding, you don't NEED a DO letter for a good amount of schools. It is definitely a bonus if you have one, so if you think it'll be a good letter then it would be worth it. But, I think if you can answer "why osteopathic medicine" well in the secondary/interview setting, it isn't a necessity at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I would highly recommend including the letter, even if you have to delay a couple weeks. It seems to be the secret key to DO schools unless you have stellar stats.

I was just wondering if you knew how to add another letter to my application? Do I just update my AACOMAS app by adding in my evaluator's information? Should I e-mail all of the schools I have submitted a secondary too already just to let them know?

It'll show up for them, and LOR's are usually not much of a factor unless they require a DO letter pre interview, just IMO

Hi everyone!

I am new to SND so sorry if I am doing anything wrong. Just to give a little background information...

Currently I am in the middle of doing my secondary applications for DO schools. I submitted my primary application in July but I am still waiting for my college's committee letter packet to arrive to AACOMAS (I know it's a little late...) I am currently a scribe in the ED and I have shadowed an MD for about 200 hours and received a recommendation letter from him. I have already submitted 3 secondary applications to Western University, LECOM, and NYITCOM. Some secondaries ask about "why osteopathic medicine," and through research and talking to my cousin who is a DO and a graduate from NYITCOM, I was able to receive some insight and write a response.

However, after reading a lot of posts about the "requirement" of shadowing a DO and obtaining a rec letter from one, I was wondering if I should reach out to DOs in my area and shadow them? Is it too late because I have already submitted my secondaries for some schools? And if I do shadow a DO, should I wait to complete my hours before sending in anymore secondaries?

I am aware it is prime time to be submitting applications which is why I am so worried about being late especially with a DO shadowing experience.

Thank you!
The DO cycle is longer than MD, so it's not too late. T-giving is late, at least at my school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I currently work as a scribe so I was able to arrange to work my shifts with a DO doctor in the ED. So it technically was not "shadowing," but I was able to observe him and talk to him about being a DO. He also agreed to writing me a letter so I am happy!

Good luck to you!