MD & DO Is it possible to match off cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexandra22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am anticipated to gradauate July 7th and my school told me that because I cannot graduate before July 1st next year, I cannot participate in the match. I still received an eras token but the issue apparently is I would be withdrawn from the match as I can’t graduate before July 1.

I have done some research and some people have had sucess with off cycle positions especially in non competitive specialities by cold calling programs. I’m hoping for family medicine and I currently attend an osteopathic school. If ANYONE knows anything about this, please let me know. I am looking at a research year currently but if it is possible to match anywhere in FM without having to take a year, I would take it. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Why is your school screwing you over by having you graduate in July?

Reactions: 1 user
I am anticipated to gradauate July 7th and my school told me that because I cannot graduate before July 1st next year, I cannot participate in the match. I still received an eras token but the issue apparently is I would be withdrawn from the match as I can’t graduate before July 1.

I have done some research and some people have had sucess with off cycle positions especially in non competitive specialities by cold calling programs. I’m hoping for family medicine and I currently attend an osteopathic school. If ANYONE knows anything about this, please let me know. I am looking at a research year currently but if it is possible to match anywhere in FM without having to take a year, I would take it. Thanks for any advice.
Just do what your school suggests, space out the requirements, and go through the normal 2022-2023 ERAS/NRMP cycle.

It's understandable that you want to get out and get on with things, but the match is your best shot at getting into a quality program that will set you up for a strong career. Taking a position off-cycle at some random place you cold call could work out, but you're really limiting yourself with this approach.

Whatever you decide, you will have to live with the consequences for the rest of your career, which could span 30-40 years. That's a long time to ruminate over how things could have been.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users