PhD/PsyD Is it a good idea to discuss clinical aspirations in your SOP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniLop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another SOP question:

I'm applying to all scientist-practitioner model programs as I'm pretty much equally interested in doing both research and practice after finishing, and this is reflected in the current draft of my SOP/personal statement. Obviously I go into much greater depth about my research interests, but I do state that I want to make both a part of my professional life. However, when searching for advice on SOPs for clinical programs, I've read some people saying that you should always play down your interest in being a clinician and just say you want to do research, regardless of whether that's true or not. This struck my as kind of bizarre, as why bother applying to programs that train you equally in both areas if you only want to do one? Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences relating to this that they'd like to share? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be genuine in what you want to do. Nothing worse than stating all you want is research, going to an all research program, and feeling like you are not getting the training you want.

If your wondering about which side of the model the program tends to lean, look up what the recent grads are doing.

This struck my as kind of bizarre, as why bother applying to programs that train you equally in both areas if you only want to do one? Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences relating to this that they'd like to share? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind that any good program will provide training in both. Even the more clinically-focused PhD programs will still have a strong emphasis on research.

That being said, it's fine to state it if you're applying to balanced programs. I made sure that I applied to programs where it was okay to say that I wanted to be a clinician (then my second year into one of those programs I changed my mind and decided that I wanted a research career, but hey).

Members don't see this ad :)
I made sure that I applied to programs where it was okay to say that I wanted to be a clinician (then my second year into one of those programs I changed my mind and decided that I wanted a research career, but hey).

To what extent did you talk about your clinical goals in your SOP?

MiniLop, we're talking entrance into clinical psych programs, right? If yes, my SOP was exactly this: My personal history (how it related to wanting to go into the field), my research experience, what I can offer the program and what unique things about the program I liked (tailored to each specific university by mentioning the work of one or two POIs and how it related to my broader interests). I applied to 'balanced' scholar-practitioner programs, interviewed at those programs, and ultimately ended up in one.

I agree w/ G Constanza about being genuine and w/ Cara about being honest (both strong qualities in a prospective clinician).

The advice you heard is probably coming from the place where some applicants can be more confident about their research goals and the methodology of clinical research (from past experience maybe), but (as Psycscientist pointed out in this thread about patient-facing roles: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/volunteering-patient-facing-roles.1036053/#post-14550496) you have limited insight into what it's like to be an actual clinician until you train as one. Face-to-face volunteer work, some previous degrees (like MSWs), and clinical research prior to doctoral training will significantly assist in this awareness of what the actual job entails. However, its miles away from what these doctoral programs will eventually train you to do and how your thoughts about the work, people, the environment, etc. evolve. (I instinctively think as a clinician now and have to 'turn it off' in my personal/non-work related interactions. And this evolution came about after 5+ years of doctoral training...and I even entered my program with a masters in general psych so I thought I knew a lot, but in hindsight that was a little naive of me.)

If you want to seem like a better writer who can adequately (or even exceptionally) convey your real life experience, then balance out your SOP (kind of like the programs you will apply to). But, if you've been a stronger researcher until now...put your best foot forward by detailing your personal interests leading you to the field (& I'm sure you know not to say "to help people"...get more creative than that simple statement) and then go into your strengths and interests as a researcher.
Good luck!

Last edited:
To what extent did you talk about your clinical goals in your SOP?

I openly mentioned it, but I balanced it with discussing research as even then I did have a passion for research. I genuinely wanted to have a career doing clinical work and research at the time I applied.

What I feel like when SoP don't include a mention of interest in clinical opportunities:

hF4D2BCF7

You can easily turn this into more evidence that you have researched the program and the opportunities there. E.g., "In looking over your program handbook, it was also clear to me that numerous clinical opportunities are available at your site that would be a strong fit to my interests. For example, the V.A. site would give me the opportunity to extend my research interests in health and LGBT issues to work with LGBT veterans." etc etc in whatever way fits with the actual research interests you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think this depends on where you are applying. If you are applying to programs that clinical science, or scientist-practitioner with a heavy research focus, I would downplay interest in clinical work in your SOP. At the same time, if you are applying to those programs, you should probably have the goal of a research-focused career, so it isn't the case that you are being dishonest in your SOP. Research-focused programs want to train you as a clinician because they are clinical programs and they see the value that clinical training brings to conducting research.... but they are looking for students who are a good research match with potential mentors, so that's what they want to hear about in your SOP.
My SOP was 80% "here are all the impressive things I've done that make me an attractive candidate" and 20% "I want to work with Dr. X for these reasons." I didn't mention clinical work at all, but I think it was implied in the types of research I wanted to do that clinical training would be an important part of my career development.
...and then I got way more interested in clinical work during graduate school, and way less excited about an R1 academic career, but that's another story.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I would be careful with this. It's more acceptable to say that you are interested in supervision and training than just straight clinical practice because supervision and training actually requires a Ph.D. whereas to simply "practice" you could get a master's degree.