General Is being a camp counselor for kids with Down Syndrome considered clinical volunteering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is being a camp counselor for kids with Down Syndrome considered clinical volunteering?

I consider it to be

Members don't see this ad.

so I assisted my camper in activities such as swimming and crafts. My involvement was pretty much one on one and my responsibilities also included assisting him with his personal care
By "personal care" I am assuming you mean feeding, toileting, dressing, and hygiene, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Did your responsibilities require any care that you were trained for by a nurse? Any special care ordered by a physician? Ostomy, catheter, wound care, administration of medication, physical therapy, for example. Do you provide any special training, socialization, fine or gross motor patterning, speech therapy, etc? Do you create progress reports?

Or are you there mainly to be sure your camper has fun and stays safe, besides overseeing "personal care (as I defined it)?"

So are you assigned to personally care for one camper? How long, and what do you mean by "personally care"? How many years have you done this activity? How are you assigned to one camper? What was the most frustrating part that would cause most other counselors to quit or be afraid?

Status
Not open for further replies.