MD Is a 4 week global health class sufficient over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zembaphobia

Kamen Rider
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to get anxious about not having anything concrete set up for my summer between my M1 and M2. I was told by my advisor to do something during the summer, because it would help later on for residency. I've never done any research beyond physics acoustics research in undergrad, but I'm neither set on a specialty nor that interested in doing research in general. I got an email about a 4 week Global Health Institute at a nearby medical school, and I applied to it because I am very interested in global health. But I feel like taking a class during the summer over doing research or going on a medical trip like most of my colleagues would not look as good on my application. Should I just suck it up and try to get ahold of one of the remaining research opportunities for the rest of the summer or would this class constitute as an acceptable usage of my summer? Going on a medical trip is kind of out of question because I don't have anywhere near enough money saved up to do so. If I don't even get into this global health class, then I guess I'm really in trouble lol

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to do anything that summer. I had a baby right after M1 and used that summer as a maternity leave. Just do something that will make you happy. Backpack through Europe. Netflix and chill. Just don't be miserable. Life is too short. That being said, doing something, anything over the summer will at least give you something to talk about during residency interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do anything you don't wanna do mannnn.

Members don't see this ad :)
enjoy the last free summer of your life. best advice i can give you

I second the suggestion to backpack through Europe because that's exactly what I did. I'm an M3 planning on matching into a pretty competitive specialty and I don't regret it for a second.

Take the class if you're genuinely interested in it, not because it will look good. From the data I've seen about what's important to residency PDs, they won't give a **** either way. Enjoy your break.

Your advisor sounds like they dont know what theyre talkimg about. Unless youre doing research over the summer. Taking a "global health class" will be totally irrelevant for your residency application.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Ok thanks guys. Yea I'm taking it just because I found it interesting. My advisor didn't tell me to take it or anything. She just recommended that I use my summer to do research or something that would help during my residency. Also, I'm a Yasuo main