Irregular periods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudelove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How strange is it to have irregular periods? My girlfriend just told me that she has had them since she started having them and she is now in her early 20s. She has them 2 months apart and sometimes they last for only 2 days. I need a little re-assurance here as I am totally depressed. I really want to have children someday and this worries me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

First, not very strange at all. Many women have irregular periods. Don't worry...when time comes your girlfriend can be evaluated and progesterone level can be drawn to determine if those periods are anovulatory or not. Most llikely, a period >45 days in duration is anovulatory with breakthrough bleeding. If that is a case, clomiphene is a drug that has been used for many years to stimulate the ovaries and still works wonderfully. So, when your having kids are in your plans than you can work it up more, but first, you should just try at it and see. Always consult your gynecologist - this board is not a substitute.
Dani