IR Work Life Balance Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eberge3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a current M3 (D.O. student) planning on applying to IR and DR(esir) programs this sept. I have always wanted to go into a procedural specialty. When I was a M1 radiology caught my attention however this past year I have been obsessed with IR. The diversity of procedures they do, minimally invasive, scrubbed in, wire work, and the ability to also read regular DR as part of a 50/50 job has been so attractive to me. Additionally, there are lots of programs in my home city and I view my self competitive (240 and multiple IR research projects) for the relatively DO friendly field compared to other procedural fields such as Ophto, Uro etc. I really enjoyed my Gen Surg rotation however really want to avoid the terrible call. I am also against going into GI or Interventional Cards at the moment because internal medicine sounds extremely boring to me.

From talking to many students interested in IR,IR residents, and attending I cannot get a solid idea of how the lifestyle truly is. Ive heard both sides of the spectrum interms of busy life/call and great work life balance. I also am worried that IR is being hyped up. Can anyone here give me a solid understanding of what the IR life is truly like?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am a current M3 (D.O. student) planning on applying to IR and DR(esir) programs this sept. I have always wanted to go into a procedural specialty. When I was a M1 radiology caught my attention however this past year I have been obsessed with IR. The diversity of procedures they do, minimally invasive, scrubbed in, wire work, and the ability to also read regular DR as part of a 50/50 job has been so attractive to me. Additionally, there are lots of programs in my home city and I view my self competitive (240 and multiple IR research projects) for the relatively DO friendly field compared to other procedural fields such as Ophto, Uro etc. I really enjoyed my Gen Surg rotation however really want to avoid the terrible call. I am also against going into GI or Interventional Cards at the moment because internal medicine sounds extremely boring to me.

From talking to many students interested in IR,IR residents, and attending I cannot get a solid idea of how the lifestyle truly is. Ive heard both sides of the spectrum interms of busy life/call and great work life balance. I also am worried that IR is being hyped up. Can anyone here give me a solid understanding of what the IR life is truly like?

From what ive gathered, it seems like the answer to your question is in your question; there's a wide variety of practice styles. If youre at a level 1 center, your call/lifestyle might be different than someone at a cancer center or private practice.

Hey everyone,

Extremely job dependant. Range from brutal call q3 to zero call as outpatient IR.

I would say most IRs can expect calls anywhere from q4 to q8.

Reactions: 1 user