Invitation for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteE8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, guys.
just out of curiosity...
does being invited for interview mean anything significant? does that mean there is a higher chance to get into the specialty program applied for? or even, does that mean that one absolutely ALMOST got into the program?

any info will be good. THANKS! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I can really only speak for OMS, but imagine the others are similar. Usually, getting an interview means you are now on level ground with everyone else who got an interview. Your grades were good enough to get into the program, so they interview you to see if you're a jacka$$ and to make sure you speak Engrish and can carry on a conversation.

toofache32 said:
I can really only speak for OMS, but imagine the others are similar. Usually, getting an interview means you are now on level ground with everyone else who got an interview. Your grades were good enough to get into the program, so they interview you to see if you're a jacka$$ and to make sure you speak Engrish and can carry on a conversation.

Say you’re a solid, not stellar, but solid candidate and you get an interview at a program. Are you really on level ground with the person who was #1 in their class and scored 98 on part 1? You’d probably have to be way cooler/nicer/funnier/better looking than them to trump their “stats”, or is it really true all interviewees are equal?

Members don't see this ad :)
dc-10 said:
Say you’re a solid, not stellar, but solid candidate and you get an interview at a program. Are you really on level ground with the person who was #1 in their class and scored 98 on part 1? You’d probably have to be way cooler/nicer/funnier/better looking than them to trump their “stats”, or is it really true all interviewees are equal?

I think you answered your own question. Who would you rather stand next to on 10 hour surgeries with? Who would you rather sit around doing models with? Someone who is #1 in their class or someone who is "cooler/nicer/funnier/better looking" with decent grades. If you got the interview its all about those extras you mentioned. This is exactly the way the world works.

Rube said:
I think you answered your own question. Who would you rather stand next to on 10 hour surgeries with? Who would you rather sit around doing models with? Someone who is #1 in their class or someone who is "cooler/nicer/funnier/better looking" with decent grades. If you got the interview its all about those extras you mentioned. This is exactly the way the world works.

but what if you are only a little bit cooler/nicer/funnier/better looking? Do you still get the advantage?

dc-10 said:
but what if you are only a little bit cooler/nicer/funnier/better looking? Do you still get the advantage?

Don't ask questions like that in the interview okay.

To answer your question though, its all about fit. The truth is people promote and hire people they LIKE. If there is someone who they like more, he/she will get it.

Rube said:
Don't ask questions like that in the interview okay.

To answer your question though, its all about fit. The truth is people promote and hire people they LIKE. If there is someone who they like more, he/she will get it.

Bullseye! On one of my externships I was told about last year's interview class. The faculty really wanted the candidate with the 4.0 GPA, but the residents nixed it. They knew they wouldn't get along with that person.

gumgardener2009 said:
Bullseye! On one of my externships I was told about last year's interview class. The faculty really wanted the candidate with the 4.0 GPA, but the residents nixed it. They knew they wouldn't get along with that person.

Who decides who get in, the program director, the residents, the secretary?

I think the program directors would have ultimate say, but I think they would strongly listen to those around them so as not to make life any more difficult than it has to be (speaking from experience working around medical residents and having spoken with one of the residency program directors at a hospital I worked at).

ISU_Steve said:
I think the program directors would have ultimate say, but I think they would strongly listen to those around them so as not to make life any more difficult than it has to be (speaking from experience working around medical residents and having spoken with one of the residency program directors at a hospital I worked at).
I think you should start dental school before you post your opinions.

There, now we're even for the gay picture you posted.

In some schools-----------Many times the director will decide who'll get an interview and not share the grades or numbers with the other faculty who will also be interviewing. Only important facts on CV and some extracur. stuff. They will then make their decision in a group setting without even knowing the numbers :eek: ----hence the level playing field. If the director and possibly one other faculty felt they were good enough for the interview the rest of them are going off of the individual's ability to interview, the residents opinions, etc.... and trusting the other mumbo-jumbo was review by the director.

Dr.B