Intro to epidemiology books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day to all! I'm currently a MS-1 and I'm quite interested in epidemiology, however most our epi will be taken up during MS-2. Are there any good books or online resource that I can read to learn more about it? Most of the books that I find are about clinical epidemiology but I'm more interested in epidemiology applied in the field since I would like to work for humanitarian organizations in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Epidemiology by Leon Gordis is one of the standard texts, and it's excellent. It was written here at Hopkins, and is the basis for our introduction to epidemiology course. It's very clear, and we covered the entire book in 8 weeks. Look for a used copy on Amazon or eBay.

agreed. the Gordis book is GREAT... so much better than the Rothman book that Hopkins uses for Epi I!

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. the Gordis book is GREAT... so much better than the Rothman book that Hopkins uses for Epi I!

Both have their purpose... I found that Gordis was much better for getting an introduction to the topic and basic understanding (OP: the Gordis book is great for the intro to field book you are looking for... sadly there are not yet any good books that deal specifically with international field work), but "baby Rothman" is great for going a bit deeper into the math and theory. Our intro course at UMich used both, and I thought that that combo was great.

I'll go with the Gordis. Thanks for the replies everyone!