Intro to biostatistics reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for something to read as an introduction to biostatistics, preferably a free e-book or online resource. Also, can anyone recommend an open source statistics package for mac? I have tried epi info but they don't have a mac version. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

just avoid IBM SPSS, it totally blows. Just finished a semester of biostats using this program. spent more time learning the program than learning the material.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're just looking for an into to biostats, not the software, look at opencourseware through johns hopkins. I think harvard, yale, ncsu, and maybe a few others have free classes as well.

just avoid IBM SPSS, it totally blows. Just finished a semester of biostats using this program. spent more time learning the program than learning the material.

Really? We use jmp in the intro course, SPSS for linear regression course, and sas for logistical regression and survival analysis course. I prefer SPSS thus far, the gui is very simple to use... I guess different strokes for different folks.

If you want to use SPSS, "discovering statistics with spss" by Andy fields is a great text.

As others have said, R is open source and works fine for Mac. There's a learning curve if you don't have experience in computer programming. But I think there are some good GUIs out there like R Studio. And there's a massive amount of support in the R communities. Their Google group is massive.

I minored in stats in grad school, so I thought the courses on Coursera and EdX were nice refreshers. The basics of biostatistics need to be repeated until it's second nature. So, it doesn't hurt to take a couple online courses to learn the material from different directions. The online courses integrate basic stats with using R, so it might be perfect for your needs.