Interviews- Office of Multicultural Affairs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wutwinb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will URM students always meet with someone from the Office of Multicultural Affairs during the interview day?
I know that one of my interviewers is definitely the Dean of the Diversity Office, and I've been warned that I will meet briefly with Diversity deans at another school.

Any previous applicants have experience with this? If you did, can you please give some advice on how (or if) we should prepare differently for these meetings? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Will URM students always meet with someone from the Office of Multicultural Affairs during the interview day?
I know that one of my interviewers is definitely the Dean of the Diversity Office, and I've been warned that I will meet briefly with Diversity deans at another school.

Any previous applicants have experience with this? If you did, can you please give some advice on how (or if) we should prepare differently for these meetings? Thanks!

I didn't meet with anyone from the Office of Multicultural Affairs since these types of offices didn't exist back in 1997 when I was interviewing for medical school. I was interviewed by members of the admissions office of the six schools that offered me an interview. In only one of the interview sessions was there another applicant of color other than myself. Things have changed in the twenty-first century!:)

If you DO have an opportunity to meet with a representative of the Multicultural Office, ask about the demographics of the students who attend your prospective school. Ask about activities and programs that encourage communication and appreciation of different ethnicities and cultures both from the standpoint of your fellow students and the patients that you will treat. You might also ask about organizations that represent multicultural activities such as the Student National Medical Association which advocates delivery of health care to all cultures especially those that are identified as under-served.

I didn't meet with anyone from the Office of Multicultural Affairs since these types of offices didn't exist back in 1997 when I was interviewing for medical school. I was interviewed by members of the admissions office of the six schools that offered me an interview. In only one of the interview sessions was there another applicant of color other than myself. Things have changed in the twenty-first century!:)

If you DO have an opportunity to meet with a representative of the Multicultural Office, ask about the demographics of the students who attend your prospective school. Ask about activities and programs that encourage communication and appreciation of different ethnicities and cultures both from the standpoint of your fellow students and the patients that you will treat. You might also ask about organizations that represent multicultural activities such as the Student National Medical Association which advocates delivery of health care to all cultures especially those that are identified as under-served.

thanks! that was helpful.