Interview Process/ Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Bihari

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks:
Please let me know the interview process. I applied at Barry, California, Temple and NYCPM. I did get an interview from all of them except NYPM yet. I applied to all these colleges in June 23rd of 2006 and I got all these interview within on eweeks.
Please advice what they look in the interview and what is the percentage of you not getting into the school after the interview. How I can do well in interview and what should I really look for while an interviewer is asking me the question. Do they go over the recommendation letter and ask you question directly.
please advice

Members don't see this ad.

Mr_Bihari said:
Hi Folks:
Please let me know the interview process. I applied at Barry, California, Temple and NYCPM. I did get an interview from all of them except NYPM yet. I applied to all these colleges in June 23rd of 2006 and I got all these interview within on eweeks.
Please advice what they look in the interview and what is the percentage of you not getting into the school after the interview. How I can do well in interview and what should I really look for while an interviewer is asking me the question. Do they go over the recommendation letter and ask you question directly.
please advice

Of the four schools that you listed, I only interviewed at Temple, so I can only share my interview experience there. You will be interviewed by a professor one on one. It will be an "open file" interview meaning that they will have your grades, MCAT scores, application, etc. in front of them. The professor that interviewed me at Temple was a bit of a space cadet. He really didn't ask me any questions, he just look at my file and told me that everything looked good. The only question he asked me was, "why are you choosing podiatric medicine as a career?" That question will probably be asked at most of your interviews. Acceptance letters were sent out within a week of the interview. At Temple, if you interview, you have about a 75% chance of getting accepted.

The only advice that I can give you on interviews is to be yourself. Don't give them the answers that you think they want to hear. Trust me, these guys can smell BS a mile away! If you didn't do well in a class or feel that you have a weakness in a particular area, tell them. Be honest and I guarantee you will do well!

Good luck to you!

Of the 4 you listed, I interviewed at Cali but the director told me it would be different. When I interviewed there, there was only one group interview with two podiatric physicians. The question they asked was why podiatry and you ask them questions. Now, the interview is suppose to be more academic and there are two sets: one interview with the doctors and one with the faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr_Bihari said:
Hi Pal:
Did you get in to their program. I think they are very honest in replying you with what you can get there. I got in to that CSPM and I really enjoy my trip down there. I really like Dr. Tran and his folks and they are honest and will let you know same day. Keep me posted

Bihari,

I did get accepted there but I am going to AZPod instead. How many people did they interview on the day that you went and how many of them were accepted?

Hey guys,

On interview day would it be okay if you tell the admissions committee that my inititial interest was something else and not podiatry? I want to be as honest as I can but don't want to give them the negative vibe. I want to tell them that I was doing my postbac to get into dental school but after taking anatomy and physio I fell in love with studying about anatomy and thought podiatry fits in real well with what I want to study. Can I tell them that I am also interested in podiatry because it has high admission rate and the process of applying is not so tedious like the others?

Clovers said:
Hey guys,

On interview day would it be okay if you tell the admissions committee that my inititial interest was something else and not podiatry? I want to be as honest as I can but don't want to give them the negative vibe. I want to tell them that I was doing my postbac to get into dental school but after taking anatomy and physio I fell in love with studying about anatomy and thought podiatry fits in real well with what I want to study. Can I tell them that I am also interested in podiatry because it has high admission rate and the process of applying is not so tedious like the others?

it depends which school you interview at. at the pod mills you could tell them that you know nothing about feet not even the amount of toes per foot but you have a pulse and you'd get in.

at the better schools I'd watch what you say. why would they take someone who was looking for the easy road (easy application) when they could have their pick of hard working dedicated students?

the application may be easy but fooat an ankle surgery is not easy. why do you think the orthopods do not want to do foot and ankle?

krabmas said:
it depends which school you interview at. at the pod mills you could tell them that you know nothing about feet not even the amount of toes per foot but you have a pulse and you'd get in. QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: krabmas is right. You can get in, but if you want get into a great program honesty may not be your best option in this case. With that being said I feel I should also say that I hope you put a lot of thought into your decision to enter podiatry beyond the lax admissions. This profession is great, but I have seen the consequences of signing up and not being sure it is right for you. On a side note, I too thought I wanted to go into dentistry but changed my mind at the last second. I lost my seat deposit for dental school, but don't regret for a second my decision to go into podiatry. I was honest about my decision to change from dentistry, but I changed my mind because I felt I would be happier as a podiatrist. Good luck.

Clovers said:
Hey guys,

I don't think you would have a problem sharing the above mentioned feelings. The only thing you ought to make sure to do is to let them know you had never heard of podiatric medicine being a separate degree from MD/DO and the more you learn, the more you love the idea of being a podiatrist. Also, make sure you have plenty of shadowing experience to back up this claim. Most podiatric medicine admissions committees know that many, or most, of their incoming students had some other area in mind first.

AZPOD Rocks