Interview / Post-Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondkings

M1 student trying to keep on keepin on’.
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, so I have 3 upcoming interviews this month. I have looked up each school’s interview threads to get an idea of the interview format. My main question is what is advised to do after an interview? Email the same day and thank them for the day? Are there specific people from the interview to remember to email thanks? As well as what are some must haves to have with you on interview day? A notepad and pen?

Any and all insight is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

A concise thank you email a few hours after the interview can't hurt. It's debatable whether or not it has any effect on your application.

Other than that, there's not much to do post-interview. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
By the time they receive your thank you note, they probably already presented you to the committee. It wouldn't have any effect at that point, but it is a polite gesture. I also wouldn't worry about bringing anything to the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can send a thank you email to the people who interviewed you. I haven’t done this for any of my interviews because I’ve never been much of a thank you note person. Doesn’t hurt, but also doesn’t help. It’s just a nice gesture (unless the school specifically expects this, which is stupid IMHO).

Depending on what the school expects you can send updates after the interview regarding activities if you are waitlisted.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for the reply. This is a nervous/exciting time! I appreciate the advice.

I've attended two interviews so far and have sent my thank yous the following morning. Some people do it right after when they are waiting to board the plan, but I think the general consensus is that it doesn't matter and doesn't really affect your admissions outcome. I usually say thank you and bring up something we talked about so they can put a face to the email. At the interviews I've attended so far, they usually gave us a list with the schedule and who we were interviewing with. One interviewer actually gave me his business card, but the admissions staff directed us to send the letters to their email instead.

Doesn't seem to affect my chances. Currently, I hold one acceptance so far :)

Congrats on the interview! Relax and be yourself. Definitely gets easier the more you attend!