interview follow-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

md-student

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on follow-up. All the places I've interviewed had sent some form of thanks/interest immediately following the interview either through snail-mail or e-mail. All have said they keep in touch with applicants at the end of the interview season. I sent immediate thank you letters expressing my interest. If I have 3-4 places I really like, should I contact them and express my interest or should I wait until they get back in touch with me like they say they will? I've been told not to be too aggressive...but at the same time, I don't want to be too passive either. What's appropriate?

Thanks for reading this...

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't necessarily wait until they contact you. I think many programs do that as a courtesy, and probably most wait until late in the season to do so, so applicants will keep their program in mind. If you are truly interested in a program, I would try to keep close contact with the program director, being sure to indicate your interest. Of course, some program directors are not that 'warm' and may not appreciate the contact, but you have to feel it out. If you had a really good interview and it felt that they were very interested, I'd contact them soon and let them know you are very interested. The way I see it, the match has eliminated all other possible ways of securing a spot at a program, so I figure one shouldn't be shy about their interest. See what others think.