Other OT-Related Information Interview Expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmaleh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I know many of you have already been accepted to top programs but I just have a quick question. How are you off setting the cost of traveling for interviews? I was invited to interview at University of St. Augustine, texas campus and I currently live in Syracuse, NY. The flight alone costs 400$, plus a hotel for a few nights and a rental car? I'm looking at close to 700$. This seems like a lot of money for an interview. Is everyone else dropping this kind of money? Do you have a problem with it? Or is it just me? Also there is no option for a skype interview or phone interview in this situation! Thanks guys!

Frances

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you mean. I can't believe how expensive this process turned out to be! I'm waitlisted at 2 Texas schools, so I decided to look out of state. After the pricey OTCAS app, I nearly gave up. Now I'm waiting to hear back from several out of state schools for an invitation to interview. I certainly have mixed emotions about spending so much money on airfare, hotel & rental car when it is really still such a gamble. Unfortunately, I am not at a point where I can pick and choose where I get in, so I will just have to suck it up and shell out the cash if I'm lucky enough to get an interview!

Hang in there, we can do it!! :)

I tried to schedule my flight so I had as few hotel nights as possible. For example, I flew out the night of my interview. Other than that, I just spent the money. It was expensive, but my schools required an in-person interview or you couldn't be accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree that the application process is ridiculously expensive! For my interviews, I think I lucked out because I found relatively cheap flights. I also tried to look for hotels that had a shuttle service to the campus I was interviewing at so I wouldn't have to rent a car. I know that some programs do skype or phone interviews, but unfortunately those weren't options for me (one of the programs listed a phone interview option on their website, but when I called to set it up, they said they had done away with it! Grr!) Anyways, you are definitely not alone in feeling stressed out about the costs of the application process. Good luck to everyone!!

Thanks guys! I've been trying the same tricks! Hopefully its all worth it in the end :)
Good luck!

Ok, so here's a strange one...I've been invited to interview out of state, but the class is already full. It is for an alternate/waitlist position only.

What??? This seems kind of crazy to me. Plus, I read on here somewhere that they already had a waitlist way back in January.

Anyone else have this experience this year?

@TexasOT2be yes! this happened to me at murphy deming and I denied the interview.

Ok, so here's a strange one...I've been invited to interview out of state, but the class is already full. It is for an alternate/waitlist position only.

What??? This seems kind of crazy to me. Plus, I read on here somewhere that they already had a waitlist way back in January.

Anyone else have this experience this year?

What school was this? I have one out of state interview and I'm hoping I don't go all the way there to find out it is only an interview for the waitlist.

Oh, sorry @rc6! That would have been helpful to include the school in original post. The school is ATSU in Arizona.

@TexasOT2be Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the one I was interviewing at (Midwestern AZ). I don't think I could justify spending the money to travel for an out of state school when they've already filled the spots.

Hey @rc6 when is your interview at Midwestern AZ? Did you hear about it via email or regular mail? I applied there pretty late and I just checked my portal, and it was on the address verification page. I'm thinking this means a rejection letter might be heading my way...or it might not mean anything. Sigh...I hate waiting!!! :(

Hey @rc6 when is your interview at Midwestern AZ? Did you hear about it via email or regular mail? I applied there pretty late and I just checked my portal, and it was on the address verification page. I'm thinking this means a rejection letter might be heading my way...or it might not mean anything. Sigh...I hate waiting!!! :(
I got accepted in midwestern and i was interviewed on Feb 18th .. and they told me i was accepted on Feb 19th .. the process is very quick!! If you have interviewed long time ago then you might want to ask admission about your status.. i hope to see you in august!! Good luck

@TexasOT2be My interview is the 27th. I was notified via email. When did you submit your application? I think it only took about 2 weeks to hear back from them after my OTCAS was verified.

@MSOT How did your interview go? Can you tell me what to expect and what they asked of you in the interview?

@TexasOT2be My interview is the 27th. I was notified via email. When did you submit your application? I think it only took about 2 weeks to hear back from them after my OTCAS was verified.

@MSOT How did your interview go? Can you tell me what to expect and what they asked of you in the interview?
The interview was quite simple and straight farward .. it was my 1st interview and i got accepted i was very surprised however my interview went pretty good.. be confident with what you say. English is my second lenguage so it was hard for me to be confident of what i am speaking but i was very honest with my all the answers so i knew what i was talking about.

1. Why OT
2. Why midwestern
3. Which books do you read
4. If an author comes to your home and if you have to cook for him/her, what would you cook and why?
5. Positive story from volunteer exp
6. Ur weakness
7. Go through application and they will ask you couple questions if they have doubt or not sure about something so make sure you read your essay and go through ur application.

Let me know if uou have any other questions.

@rc6 MY OTCAS wasn't verified until February 7th, and I didn't hear anything from Midwestern until February 14th, which was an email stating my completed application had been received and my application was now under review. I'm constantly checking my email like a crazy woman! lol!

Good luck on the interview!

@MSOT Thanks! Congratulations on the acceptance! Would be great to see you in August, that's for sure! What did you think of the area? I've never been to that part of Arizona.

@TexasOT 2be: thanks .. congratulations to you too! I am from arizona phoenix but i recently moved to GA. I was in phoenix for more than 7 years so if you have any questions about living then ask me. My parents live very close to campus so I am planning to live with them. Find apartment in phoenix instead of glendale unless you are planning to live on campus. phoenix is much cheaper in living and its only 5-10 miles from campus.

@rc6 MY OTCAS wasn't verified until February 7th, and I didn't hear anything from Midwestern until February 14th, which was an email stating my completed application had been received and my application was now under review. I'm constantly checking my email like a crazy woman! lol!

@TexasOT2be -- My OTCAS was verified February 11th, and I received a letter in the mail from Midwestern dated February 27th.
The letter states that they put my application "on hold pending a potential invitation for an interview." It says my application was "deemed to possess enough merit to be held for future review and this should be viewed as positive result. It is, however, impossible to predict if or when an interview invitation might be offered."

So I guess they're just telling me to wait longer lol, but it's something. I hope you hear back soon!

Would you pay the money to fly out of state for an interview that will only last for 30 minutes? For an alternate spot?

Would you pay the money to fly out of state for an interview that will only last for 30 minutes? For an alternate spot?

No, I wouldn't spend the money on a flight for an interview for an alternate spot. No way.

You can do Airbnb instead of a hotel. Try to get a room within walking distance to the school, if possible.

@MSOT Thanks for the insight! Congratulations as well!

@TexasOT2be I don't think I could justify the cost. I am surprised they would offer interviews just to be on the wait list, too.