Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor4ever

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people wearing for their interviews? I've heard it's not necessary to wear a suit for psych.

Members don't see this ad.

For men or for women? I've only been on one interview so far, but everyone (all women) was wearing a suit -- half pantsuits, half skirts.

I've been on 4 so far and everyone (men and women) were wearing suits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been to a couple of interviews where the men did not wear suits but wore blazers with non-matching slacks. They stood out from the group and not in a positive way -- it looked too casual in my opinion.

The majority of women have been wearing pants suits.

Something I have noticed is people carrying very casual bags with them (not luggage) -- I noticed one backpack with huge orange and yellow logos on it and another bright portfolio (in the applicant's school colors). It really took away from what would be an otherwise professional appearance.

Then again, I was so bored at a couple of the interviews that I had nothing better to do than play fashion police.

I wore my velour baby blue Sean John jumpsuit with my Timberland boots and it seemed to draw a lot of positive attention.

PD: "Any residency applicant that endorses the hip-hop culture will surely thrive in this eclectic program."

Me: "Hell yeah."