Interview apparal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpmrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do/did you wear to interviews and see other people wearing? any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

dpmrunner said:
What do/did you wear to interviews and see other people wearing? any suggestions?

coat and tie at minimum or a suit...but make sure you feel comfy in whatever..the last thing you want to worry about is how you look. I have seen people in casual dress, but i wouldnt rec that.

Members don't see this ad :)
At all 3 interviews of mine, EVERY applicant - including myself - was wearing a very nice suit. I felt so overdressed because none of the faculty or other students are nearly this dressed up - but you can tell that it is expected of the ones who are interviewing to wear a suit.

dpmrunner said:

runnersfeet said:
At all 3 interviews of mine, EVERY applicant - including myself - was wearing a very nice suit. I felt so overdressed because none of the faculty or other students are nearly this dressed up - but you can tell that it is expected of the ones who are interviewing to wear a suit.

It is extremely important to wear a suit because most likely, everyone else will. Wearing a suit might not give you advantage points but not wearing one would probably show you aren't that serious.

everyone wore a suit to my interview... i think you don't want to be the one who doesn't... you want to go to a professional school, so look professional

I would go as far as to say a dark suit black or dark navy. Tie and nice dress shirt. Dress for success! Make sure you polish your shoes too!

"you want to go to a professional school, so look professional"

At least for the interview....
Then when you are in the door, wear mid riffs and miniskirts?

Don't think it happens???? Not at my school?

That's the irony of it all.

But yes, at least wait until you are accepted to get comfortable enough to wear the above "essential" professional school attire.

Who are you and where do you get all of this lame advice? Nobody cares what people where when they are studying - the point is to be comfortable, duh. I dont see anything wrong with wearing a suit for an interview, scrubs for work, and sweats for studying. No one expects a med student to wear a suit on an everyday basis - you wear it when necessary....for an interview! Your comments arent really helpful nor appreciated - havent you received that vibe by reading how people reply to your posts? take a hint and hit the road

whiskers said:
"you want to go to a professional school, so look professional"

At least for the interview....
Then when you are in the door, wear mid riffs and miniskirts?

Don't think it happens???? Not at my school?

That's the irony of it all.

But yes, at least wait until you are accepted to get comfortable enough to wear the above "essential" professional school attire.

Lol, You mentioned scrubs, sweats etc, again missed my point completely....
But wait, you're the only one in professional school, no one should mention grading, attire or standards!
Lol.

It must be great being a professional! Maybe someday I can be one too?

It's also great to see how tolerant and mature some "professionals" are of different opinions other than their own.....

BTW, when was the last time I attacked one of your personal opinions?
Maybe you could have some mutual professional respect?

whiskers said:

Yes, you may be called a professional now, but I know your other names:

The Dragon, the Ancient Serpent, the Deciever of the Whole World, Beelzebub, Lucifer, the Accuser, the Devil, Satan, and Whiskers.

Sorry, dude--I tell them the whole story :laugh:

"Mutual professional respect?" "mature and tolerant?" Dont speak about that which you dont practice. There is nothing respectful nor mature about your posts, in fact, quite the opposite - I would think you would be able to gather that from the responses that your posts generate. I didnt "again" miss your point...rather, I once again found it ridiculous and completely irrelevant to the thread - which clearly is a simple thoughtful question about what one wears to a pod school interview... a very respectable and reasonable question seeing as this forum is meant to be a helpful tool for those new to the profession I dont think they who started the thread wanted someone's opinion about anything but the simple question that was asked. Thus, if you noticed from others who posted a response, the posts ranged from "suit" to "really nice suit" to "black suit/navy suit" to "wear something nice, but also make sure you are comfortable." Dont post responses that are not helpful.

whiskers said:
Lol, You mentioned scrubs, sweats etc, again missed my point completely....
But wait, you're the only one in professional school, no one should mention grading, attire or standards!
Lol.

It's also great to see how tolerant and mature some "professionals" are of different opinions other than their own.....

BTW, when was the last time I attacked one of your personal opinions?
Maybe you could have some mutual professional respect?