Interventional Neurorad???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, excuse my ignorance, but just want to see if anybody knows the answer to what I am about to ask. First off, I can't explain why, and don't ask me why, I love looking at films of the brain, CT's, MRI's etc. My favorite part about my neuro course was given a patient's H&P, some films, then making a diagnosis. I like radiology too and know that if I did a residency in radiology that I would most likely want to do a fellowship in invasive radiology or neuroradiology.

Now, one big problem. It is next to impossible to get a radiology residency anymore! Everybody wants to be a radiologist now because they are making $$ hand over fist (at least right now they are) My question is, does anybody here know if any neuroradiology fellowship programs take on people that did their residency in neurology?

If this were the case, this would be great because right now, it is much easier to get into a neuro program than radiology, and don't get me wrong, I like neuro, but I would love to get my hands on being an invasive neuroradiologist!!

Members don't see this ad.

Could be mistaken, but I believe that if you want to do anything invasive involving radiation, you will have to go the radiology route. Even though it is competetive, there are a lot of community radiology programs out there that probably have less stringent admission standards then the academic programs, so don't give up too easily.

Even if it were allowed, being strictly a neuroradiologist without general radiology training would severely limit your job opportunities to large academic departments. In private practice and even in some academic departments you will have general radiology responsibilities.

I also think that you need general radiology training to adequately interpret the images. I cant tell you how frequently we find significant incidental findings outside of the neuroaxis (i.e. renal mass when reading an L-Spine MR)