internventional/therapeutic procedures in ICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M3dhop3ful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a clerk trying to get a good sense of ICU because I might be interested in it. I know that it is a pretty procedural based specialty, but of all the procedures that intensivists do (through IM), which ones are more therapeutic than diagnostic?

What are other subspecialties that can be paired up with CCM that may allow for more interventions to be undertaken in the ICU for therapeutic purposes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a clerk trying to get a good sense of ICU because I might be interested in it. I know that it is a pretty procedural based specialty, but of all the procedures that intensivists do (through IM), which ones are more therapeutic than diagnostic?

What are other subspecialties that can be paired up with CCM that may allow for more interventions to be undertaken in the ICU for therapeutic purposes?

100 views no response? C'mon!

Hi all,

Therapeutic?

Intubation, central line placement (because you can't give some medication through peripherals), chest tubes, thoracentesis (can be), and sometimes bronchoscopy

Most of the procedures are therapeutic, other than LPs, thora/paras....and which side of the art line divide you're on.