PhD/PsyD Internship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahaley007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read through this post. I googled far and wide and couldn't get this question answered and decided to post in regards to this.

Hypothetically, if a student in a PhD/PsyD in Clinical Psychology has completed his coursework and is in the internship match process but was unable to get an APA accredited internship either through Phase I or Phase II, what should be his next steps. These are the options that I have come across
  • taking a non-apa accredited internship that is APPIC accredited.
  • taking a non accredited internship
  • waiting a year and improving one's chances through further research and experience
My questions is, after not getting into an APA accredited internship, can one complete a APPIC accredited internship because the internship is a requirement to complete the degree program and then the following year apply to the match making process and try to get an APA accredited internship? Essentially, the student would be doing two internships. Is this possible? Please let me know if you are able and also cite where you obtained this information.
Thanks again for reading this post.

Members don't see this ad.

My questions is, after not getting into an APA accredited internship, can one complete a APPIC accredited internship because the internship is a requirement to complete the degree program and then the following year apply to the match making process and try to get an APA accredited internship? Essentially, the student would be doing two internships. Is this possible? Please let me know if you are able and also cite where you obtained this information.
Thanks again for reading this post.

No. APPIC explicitly forbids this. It is discussed on their website and by the match coordinator (on the list-serve) every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
And considering the imbalance, its kinda a jerk move if you even tried it. You are adding to the imbalance when you already had your shot and chose to accept the unaccredited one.

Hello Ahaley. I can't tell if this is a position you find yourself in or if you are just speculating. I'll answer as if you are now on an internship that is not accredited.

I can completely understand your wanting to explore your options. You started a program with the expectation that if you do what you are supposed to, and if you are successful, you will match with an APA accredited internship and will be able to successfully complete your program, get your degree and begin your career. Now you have done your part and are learning that the program (as proxy for profession) hasn't. So you are looking for ways to control the damage. You know you need an accredited internship to be competitive for (or even qualify for) the full scope of possible jobs. Some programs won't award you a degree without the APA accredited internship. Having been closed out of them for the year, you are seeking ways to recoup your losses. Can you put in another year as damage control.

A previous poster suggested you read the APPIC guidelines. Good advice. I don't see where the guidelines prohibit you from doing what you have inquired about. They certainly discourage it (" the Board strongly discourages students from pursuing two internships. "). Terms used are strongly suggestive (should). But, I could not find a place in the guidelines that stated it was prohibited.

It is probably not your fault that you did not match. There is a problem that is (probably) not your doing. It is perfectly reasonable for you to explore the option of an APA accredited internship. Assuming that you have not yet graduated, and especially if your program requires an APA internship, or even if it doesn't but you want to ensure you have the full scope of job options available, it seems reasonable for you to work with your program to see if such a thing was possible. Can't fault someone for wanting an extra year to set thing right and get extra training. If the designation of APA accreditation has any meaning, then being closed out of a program with accreditation is problematic. At this point, your focus is, and should be, how to arrange to complete your degree in a way that accomplishes what you intended. You don't have an obligation to sacrifice future opportunities in order to prevent adding another applicant to the pool. If at all possible, you plan is a reasonable one. It would make sense to work with your doctoral program to see if they can work with APPIC to see if there is a way you can enter the match this year.

You might also look on the internet for information about advocacy groups trying to encourage APA to rectify some issues related to non APA accredited internships. As the saying goes, "It is what it is but doesn't have to be."

Last edited:
A previous poster suggested you read the APPIC guidelines. Good advice. I don't see where the guidelines prohibit you from doing what you have inquired about. They certainly discourage it (" the Board strongly discourages students from pursuing two internships. "). Terms used are strongly suggestive (should). But, I could not find a place in the guidelines that stated it was prohibited.

While I do not believe APPIC explicits forbids the process, there really is no wiggle room. The last section of the APPIC statement on this question is as follows: " ...it is very important that applicants NOT view internship as an opportunity to strengthen their experience in hopes of obtaining a "better" internship the following year. Instead, students who wish to gain additional experience in order to be more competitive for an internship should do so by arranging additional practicum experiences through their doctoral programs. Thus, students should make their internship selection decisions with the understanding that they will complete one, and only one, internship."

Unfortunately the internship imbalance is not a new thing, so there have been a plethora of people who have had to navigate this scenario, and I am unaware of anyone who has successfully done "two" internships….at least that has gone through the APPIC process. In that position the student is basically stuck re-applying, as the alternative can get dicey with later licensure (more hoops to jump through).

As an aside, APPIC does not actually accredit sites. The APA accredits the sites and then the other sites that are not APA-acred. are "approved" members of APPIC.

If at all possible, you plan is a reasonable one. It would make sense to work with your doctoral program to see if they can work with APPIC to see if there is a way you can enter the match this year.

I disagree. Based on everything that has been written about the APPIC match process, attempting to secure two internships is not a viable option.

fresnel,

How would one even do that. To apply you have to be enrolled in a graduate program and have all hours cleared by your program DCT. How would one do that if they had already graduated?!

Yeah, it makes no sense to do two, nor is it likely to fly at multiple levels (your program, APPIC, the 2nd year's sites when you have to explain what you were doing over the last year). Also, WHY do two, when the function of the internship is to graduate? You'd be ineligible the second year if you used the unaccredited internship for its very purpose.

I *have* heard of people doing full-year, intensive, sometimes paid pracs over the year if they don't match, including sometimes moving to do so. That sounds more like what OP is talking about.

I *have* heard of people doing full-year, intensive, sometimes paid pracs over the year if they don't match, including sometimes moving to do so. That sounds more like what OP is talking about.

This. If you get more practicum and research experience and move toward finishing your dissertation, it should improve your chances of matching the following year.

Yeah, it makes no sense to do two, nor is it likely to fly at multiple levels (your program, APPIC, the 2nd year's sites when you have to explain what you were doing over the last year). Also, WHY do two, when the function of the internship is to graduate? You'd be ineligible the second year if you used the unaccredited internship for its very purpose.

Right. I guess I should have said it forbidden because its basically impossible to do the match twice due to the fact that you have to be enrolled in a program to participate in it.

I think it's also important to point out that if an APPIC-member only internship is not acceptable for an applicant, then he or she should not apply to, and definitely should not rank, any non APA-accredited sites. This would avoid them getting "stuck" with one of these sites.