This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a sophomore in undergrad at a community college here in the U.S. I was wondering a few things....1) Are there med schools in any other country or countries that are of the same quality and cheaper than the U.S.? 2) if so, where are they? And is it possible for me to attend one? What is that process like (getting accepted to med school in a different country than America)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The advice is to usually attend med school in the country you wish to eventually practice in. Going to any international medical school leaves open the very possible chance that you will not match into a US residency and thus will not be able to practice in the states.

Reactions: 1 users
In many countries, the admission to medical school is right after high school and runs 6 years or more. In many countries, the tuition is less than it is in the US. The problem is that it is that graduating from a medical school in another country makes you a "foreign medical graduate". It is harder for a foreign medical graduate to get a residency in the US than it is for a graduate of a US medical school to get a residency in the US and without a residency in the US you can not get a license to practice medicine in the US. So you could end up with a degree that didn't cost you as much but that precludes you from moving into your chosen profession in the US.

Go to medical school in the country where you hope to live and work for the duration of your career.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely there are great medical school outside the US, but like JustAPhD said, you will be less likely to come back to the US to practice. Great places to study medicine are usually European countries like England and Germany. I am nowhere near an expert on this way of studying medicine but I am pretty sure they are a cheaper option than in the US. Just be aware that all these countries have a way different health care system. I used to want to go out of the country too but its just much easier to get into med school here and the practice is better here, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users