International applicant

OptoGiant

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm graduated from an international school. anybody in the same situation trying to enter to an Optometry school in U.S?

Please share your experiences about taking the OAT, applying different schools and....

Best!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

My experience is below. If you'll have more questions just ask.

I have a BSc in optometry from Israel. In order to study in the States you would need to take the TOEFL. You can search about it, but basically it's a standardized test that evaluates your english level. It's valid for 2 years, so make sure that you take it within a time line that you'll start school. I bought the book on Amazon and studied from it and from youtube. You can take the test in your country. After the test i began to study for the OAT. You would have to come to the US in order to take it. I've already posted my experience on the OAT discussions forum. I named it "OAT experience 10/15/18". You can read about it there.
Another thing that you'll need to do is to send your diploma with all of the classes that you took during optometry school to WES organization. They'll evaluate your grades and convert them into American grades. WES will send it directly to OptomCAS.
I applied to every school that accepts international degree. If I remember correctly there are 7.
As for now, I have received interview invitations form NOVA and NECO. NOVA was the number one school i wanted to go to, i interviewed and got accepted.

Good luck with your journey!

Thank you so much for your explanations, I already passed the TOEFL and right now studying for the OAT. but will you please tell me which 7 schools accept international applicants and do they have an accelerated program for international graduates or its just the traditional program?

As far as i know the NECO halted the accelerated program this year.

I know about the accelerated scholars program at Salus. You can earn an OD degree in 3 years. I don't know of any others.
The schools I applied were: NOVA, NECO, PCO, UHCO, SCO and PUCO. SUNY also accepts international applicants.

Reactions: 1 user