Interested in Neurology - Seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmilKraepelin55

Psychiatry PGY-2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is just to seek general advice given my current situation as a medical student and what I can do moving forward to ensure that if I decide neurology I can be successful. Thanks to anyone who replies!

I received my first round of board scores recently:
Step 1 = 234
Level 1 = 598

I have only done some research on a clinical case series during summer of M1 which honestly didn’t go anywhere, so I am not sure if that should be counted.

I have volunteered with an Autism organization for years, which is one of the reasons I am interested in neuro along with other relevant experiences.

Currently I am an M3 at a new DO school in the Midwest. I am just one state away from my original permanent residence, which my wife and I hope to move back to at some point (hopefully for residency) We are realistic though since a majority of the neurology programs are not located in this region of the country, and there is only one program who accepts very few DO’s in the state of interest so that may be a long shot.

Anyways, my school has me scheduled for an outpatient neuro rotation at the end of the year and if possible I will be applying to VSAS to do a few audition rotations in 4th year. Hopefully that option will be on the table given COVID19.

Given this information, what else would those of you who have went through this process recommend I do to make myself as competitive as possible for the match if I decided neuro? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Score well on step 2 and publish one research article. At the end of the day, you are a US graduate and chances to get into “any neurology program” is really good to excellent especially if you are applying in midwest not to Columbia neurology residency. Neurology is an undesirable speciality as it is highly cognitive and intellectually challenging with lower income compared to much easier specialties “sadly”, to the extent that people are applying to neurology now as a backup plan if they dont match into their desired specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not quite correct to say that neurology is undesirable - step scores for matched neurology applicants are in the low to mid 230s on average, similar to other medium-competitiveness specialties like IM, OB, gen surg, and anesthesia. But it's also certainly not super competitive and a DO from a US school with decent grades and a decent step 1 shouldn't have much trouble as long as you apply broadly and realistically.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Match stats to put your mind at ease:
1595852471717.png

1595852502576.png

Interesting. So I have noticed that, when going through some of the historically MD program pages, some say a Step 2 CS pass is required to grant an interview. Now from my understanding of things, I originally thought that I could just go ahead and take the COMLEX Level 2 PE to satisfy this requirement Now I understand that given COVID19 things are different. However, since I won't be applying for another year things may change dramatically. Should I just go ahead and contact some of these programs to inquire about that requirement and see if Level 2 PE could satisfy? I also know given the merger that it theoretically should be okay, but do historically MD programs really care all that much about the distinction between a pass on the PE vs. a pass on the CS?

Interesting. So I have noticed that, when going through some of the historically MD program pages, some say a Step 2 CS pass is required to grant an interview. Now from my understanding of things, I originally thought that I could just go ahead and take the COMLEX Level 2 PE to satisfy this requirement Now I understand that given COVID19 things are different. However, since I won't be applying for another year things may change dramatically. Should I just go ahead and contact some of these programs to inquire about that requirement and see if Level 2 PE could satisfy? I also know given the merger that it theoretically should be okay, but do historically MD programs really care all that much about the distinction between a pass on the PE vs. a pass on the CS?
PE = CS, no difference and no one bats an eye as long as you pass PE. Do not take CS. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

Score well on step 2 and publish one research article. At the end of the day, you are a US graduate and chances to get into “any neurology program” is really good to excellent especially if you are applying in midwest not to Columbia neurology residency. Neurology is an undesirable speciality as it is highly cognitive and intellectually challenging with lower income compared to much easier specialties “sadly”, to the extent that people are applying to neurology now as a backup plan if they dont match into their desired specialty.

"highly cognitive and intellectually challenging with lower income compared to much easier specialties"

Can you expand upon this? isn't compensation in the high 200k? also, why is it more cognitive and intellectually challenging than other specialties? I may be interested in Neurology too but I felt based on my research the compensation was like 280k+ and that the work yes can be intellectually challenging but you actually have time to think about things and diagnoses