Instate school v Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnutzz

Reaction score
I was fortunate to get into my state school and a school in Texas. I would much prefer to stay in state, but I also would like to make a good financial decision. My state school tuition would be about 200k and Texas as OS is roughly 185k. If I were to buy a home or something and get instate tuition it would go down to 170k ish. The big difference being cost of living. Rent is about double what it would be in Texas. Realistically I would come away with ~300k from my in state and ~250k from Texas total debt after all costs factored.

Like I mentioned I would much rather stay instate but want to make smart financial decision. Everyone says go where its cheapest. Would 50k really make a difference in the long run, or would it still be smart to go to Texas?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to add some Texas knowledge in here and let you know that your Texas Resident status is determined at the time you apply to dental school, not later. So, if you buy a house after starting dental school it won't change you to the in-state tuition rate.
You're back to comparing 200 vs 185. If you are looking to stay in your home state to practice, going to school there would be better for building connections.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to add some Texas knowledge in here and let you know that your Texas Resident status is determined at the time you apply to dental school, not later. So, if you buy a house after starting dental school it won't change you to the in-state tuition rate.
You're back to comparing 200 vs 185. If you are looking to stay in your home state to practice, going to school there would be better for building connections.
Yes the instate tuition I calculated is with the first year calculated as out of state! But thank you! But that’s another interesting point as I’m not sure I want to practice in my state!

Status
Not open for further replies.