Input from someone who matched into neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4pf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently choosing which medical school to attend and have found myself in a unique situation regarding a neurosurgery program. I'm pretty sure which school I'm leaning towards but wanted to gain the input of someone who recently matched neurosurgery.

Please PM me if you matched nsgy and have time to answer a few questions! Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

This is my first post on the medical student side of SDN so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place. I am currently choosing which medical school to attend and have found myself in a unique situation regarding a neurosurgery program. I'm pretty sure which school I'm leaning towards but wanted to gain the input of someone who recently matched neurosurgery.

Please PM me if you matched nsgy and have time to answer a few questions! Thank you in advance!!
Looking at your post history, i think if you are dead set on NSGY, just go to UCSF and start doing research with the department from day one (there’s tons of research going on) and you will be almost guaranteed a spot in the program, if you do a good job. It’s a very cutthroat department nonetheless so they will expect you to work your ass off from the get go. UCSF is inarguably the best in nsgy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got into 17 med schools I doubt it will make a difference which one you go to. There are a handful of schools that have a particularly strong legacy in neurosurgery but the most important thing is to be an outstanding student wherever you end up. Hard to imagine a truly unique situation between a premed and a neurosurgery department that would be so consequential in an eventual match (outside of nepotism or existing employment) but happy to discuss.

I would not put any stock into any program being "the best" and strongly disagree that UCSF is inarguably such. There is a lot of posturing and peacocking in neurosurgery which has been exacerbated by twitter and unduly influences applicants and premeds. There are many excellent training programs and a few bad ones.

Reactions: 1 user
If you got into 17 med schools I doubt it will make a difference which one you go to. There are a handful of schools that have a particularly strong legacy in neurosurgery but the most important thing is to be an outstanding student wherever you end up. Hard to imagine a truly unique situation between a premed and a neurosurgery department that would be so consequential in an eventual match (outside of nepotism or existing employment) but happy to discuss.

I would not put any stock into any program being "the best" and strongly disagree that UCSF is inarguably such. There is a lot of posturing and peacocking in neurosurgery which has been exacerbated by twitter and unduly influences applicants and premeds. There are many excellent training programs and a few bad ones.
Will PM you now, thanks!