Other Indiana and Texas Seeking Alternatives to address Residency Funding Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaisalResidency

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ibj.com/articles/60301-shortage-of-residency-slots-plugs-doctor-pipeline

As the growing shortage continues its curious as to what different states are doing to address the problem.

Sad part is there were 17,000 people that didn't match in the 2016 Match program and though many
probably found positions in the scramble, we have tens of thousands of medical graduates unable to use their much needed skills.

I'm a proponent of alternative or even self-funding with companies starting to take their cases to the states to allow this.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how the shortage is going to affect all this. There's states like Texas and Indiana that are changing guidelines for and creating alternative funding
aside from medicare for residency positions and then there are the private companies attempting the change the model and create for-profit residency
programs that cost money. Think all will be needed.

Oh geeze, didn't we just shut down the "self-fund residency" discussion thread not too long ago? It was not a productive conversation that devolved fairly rapidly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Faisalresidency,
For some reason you look desperate (as all of IMGs including me) to get a residency spot. BUT I believe this is a wrong forum where you keep asking and talking about the same thing while nobody is in the position to give it to you or make this into a law!!
With this being said, I am totally against self-funded residency despite the fact that it will save me the headache of applying to programs and competing with AMGs and fresh IMGs (since I am an old one).. But still, I believe if you are a qualified applicant who passed USMLEs and gained some clinical experience in the US, you should be able to secure one of the 10000+ positions offered.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Faisalresidency,
For some reason you look desperate (as all of IMGs including me) to get a residency spot. BUT I believe this is a wrong forum where you keep asking and talking about the same thing while nobody is in the position to give it to you or make this into a law!!
With this being said, I am totally against self-funded residency despite the fact that it will save me the headache of applying to programs and competing with AMGs and fresh IMGs (since I am an old one).. But still, I believe if you are a qualified applicant who passed USMLEs and gained some clinical experience in the US, you should be able to secure one of the 10000+ positions offered.

Good luck!

I've actually shared the ideas with some serial entrepreneurs and its not necessarily not-legal if structured properly. All it would need would be for a
State Medical Board to accept people from programs that allow self-funding and alternative funding.

These are being lobbied now and when the some states are so desperate that they're allowing in some cases people to practice without a residency
and allowing PA's and RN's to do doctor's duties. It seems inevitable to me.

Not looking for any criticism but just for people that would pay $150k-$200k to self fund their program. The program still has to accept you
but you make up the funding deficit not available through medicare because of limited funding.

cheers!

I signed up through these programs at the State of Indiana, Texas, Medical Residency Resources and IMG Funding Inc which I saw as a conference.
Looking for others to join and see what they're doing to help in this space.

Last edited:
Faisal - Isn't soliciting like this a violation of the SDN TOS? That link is to a 'for profit' organization placing residents for a fee.