This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlfromsaipan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok long story short:

I have a strong desire for space exploration (work for NASA) and becoming a physician. The problem is I can't decide what to choose between the two. I'm currently an undergrad majoring in Geology while also taking pre-med prerequisites at the same time. Then towards the end of my undergraduate career, I will decide from there if I will go to grad school and be a NASA scientist or go to medical school and become a doctor....

I've also thought about being a NASA flight surgeon which is both of my passions combined. But I don't know what to do. I really need advice if what I am doing right now is a good decision. I don't want to end up knowing that I spent a long time during my undergrad (trying to graduate w/in 4 years) finishing up so many classes because I'm taking both geo and pre-med classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok long story short:

I have a strong desire for space exploration (work for NASA) and becoming a physician. The problem is I can't decide what to choose between the two. I'm currently an undergrad majoring in Geology while also taking pre-med prerequisites at the same time. Then towards the end of my undergraduate career, I will decide from there if I will go to grad school and be a NASA scientist or go to medical school and become a doctor....

I've also thought about being a NASA flight surgeon which is both of my passions combined. But I don't know what to do. I really need advice if what I am doing right now is a good decision. I don't want to end up knowing that I spent a long time during my undergrad (trying to graduate w/in 4 years) finishing up so many classes because I'm taking both geo and pre-med classes.
Your major doesn't matter to med school as long as you get 3.7 and above.

I'm not sure how you could get exposure to professions in space exploration, but what helped me to decide on medicine was shadowing a physician. Observing their daily work life is very insightful and gives you a better picture of what your future might be like. Maybe see about shadowing someone at NASA?

Members don't see this ad :)
NASA seems to like physicians as astronauts as over 33% of them are doctors. That said, it is an extremely selective program that you are not likely to get selected for (anyone, not just you personally) let alone successfully complete (it is a 2-year candidate program that leads to being an astronaut if completed successfully).

I'd recommend going to med school, because you can still try to be an astronaut, and if you don't get selected, at least you're already a physician.

you should major in geology if that's what you like best

pre-med coursework alongside