In-Service Exams and preparation for new ENT residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

How's everyone doing? Do we have to take the in-service exam or any board exam for ENT in our general surgery year? Also, does anyone have any ideas of how to prepare for the 1st year of residency for ENT? Should I read up on general surgery and leave ENT review for 2nd year? Our year has a mix of general surg, plastix, ENT, ER, that type of stuff? What is the best way to prepare for prelim year? Lotta q's so please respond to what u like. Thx

moola

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

How's everyone doing? Do we have to take the in-service exam or any board exam for ENT in our general surgery year? Also, does anyone have any ideas of how to prepare for the 1st year of residency for ENT? Should I read up on general surgery and leave ENT review for 2nd year? Our year has a mix of general surg, plastix, ENT, ER, that type of stuff? What is the best way to prepare for prelim year? Lotta q's so please respond to what u like. Thx

moola

1 - Good, thanks
2 - I had to take the Gen Surgery in-service exam in my intern year, but that was before the intern year was under the direction of the ENT department (it was still controlled by general surgery). Ask your program director. They can tell you.
3 - Don't prepare for ENT very much in your intern year, except for the month that you're on ENT. Use it to learn all the other stuff you're doing. It will be valuable later on. You'll have plenty of time to learn ENT the following 4 years.
4 - I'd only review ENT when you're doing ENT, unless there's just something you can't not learn about. I would learn as much about each rotation you're on when you're on it.
5 - don't know where the question is there
6 - Prepare for your prelim year doing whatever you can to learn what you're on. Learn critical care, learn suturing and basic surgical technique. Do procedures as much as possible. Read all the fluid/electrolyte stuff you can. Suck up all the knowledge you can and above all have a good attitude. A good attitude will carry you farther in your internship than book knowledge ever will.

"How's everyone doing?"

I am doing fantastic, thanks for asking.

"Do we have to take the in-service exam or any board exam for ENT in our general surgery year?"

I didn't take any tests my intern year.

"Also, does anyone have any ideas of how to prepare for the 1st year of residency for ENT?"

I didn't prep much for ENT during my intern year.

"Should I read up on general surgery and leave ENT review for 2nd year?"

I didn't read much my intern year.

"Our year has a mix of general surg, plastix, ENT, ER, that type of stuff?"

OK?

"What is the best way to prepare for prelim year?"

As told to me by my great Vascular surgery mentor, Dr. John Sharp: "Son, during the next year, you need to focus on three things: sleep when you can, eat when you can, and don't mess with the pancreas." He used another word for "mess" but this is a family-friendly forum.

You will read during your intern year because you have to, not necessarily for academic reasons. You will read about post surgical fluid management because you don't want to hurt your patients, but don't want to get yelled at by your chief for asking stupid questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
As told to me by my great Vascular surgery mentor, Dr. John Sharp: "Son, during the next year, you need to focus on three things: sleep when you can, eat when you can, and don't mess with the pancreas." He used another word for "mess" but this is a family-friendly forum.

Our chief had a similar motto: "Don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can sleep, and eat whenever possible. And you piece of ---- intern, don't even think about the pancreas."

I personally did not do any reading/studying or doing anything remotely productive intellectually at all during my intern year. I was too exhausted from rounding and doing scut work.