In light of a recent post, what do ortho surgeons make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycheout

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it was said that an ortho surgeon makes 400K, and that an ortho out of med school will assuredly make 300K

Someone clipped the following for me out of a paper, so I don't know date of issue.
"Occupations with the highest mean annual wages" November 2003 Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
I noted Surgeon is indeed #1 (above Anesthesiologist) at $ 182,690

There are just a few caveats:
1) This is an average. In other words, someone in private practice could conceivably make as much, but likely rare.
2) Would malpractice premiums reduce the salary greatly? Malpractice insurance can be about 100K.
3) Is it feasible to invest and yield a 400K income?
4) Does it confer status on us when we claim to know other wealthy people? Nevermind on this one.

Bring it!

Members don't see this ad.

psycheout said:
I think it was said that an ortho surgeon makes 400K, and that an ortho out of med school will assuredly make 300K

Someone clipped the following for me out of a paper, so I don't know date of issue.
"Occupations with the highest mean annual wages" November 2003 Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics

1) This is an average. In other words, someone in private practice could conceivably make as much, but likely rare.
2) Would malpractice premiums reduce the salary greatly? Malpractice insurance can be about 100K.
4) Does it confer status on us when we claim to know other wealthy people? Nevermind on this one.

Bring it!

Moving to Ortho Forum...

psycheout said:

Bring it!

I don't know why I'm responding but...

Like most specialties, reimbursement is based on many factors, including practice location, population demographics, practice type, practice size, and so on. Generally speaking, pods in the midwest do the best, as do pods in the middle of nowhere.

When you see numbers on salaries, these are the numbers you take home, before taxes. These numbers may include retirement, production bonuses, relocation allowances, etc. For purposes of discussion, malpractice costs are paid for independently of salary and neither "taken from" or "added to" the salary numbers you see. This is similar to other specialties I am familiar with.

Pods coming out of residency can see some big numbers IF they are willing to go into the sticks and take above-average call. You might see some big number offers (600k), but these numbers are usually deceiving. They often include a relocation allowance, 'assumed' production bonus, and lots of other things you may not actually get once you move there.

Also, like other specialties, there are likely to be practices who bring in a new member with promise to "make partner in two years if you work your ass off" with no intent to make you a partner. In those cases, you've likely signed a non-compete contract and will have to up and move after you've busted ass for 2 years making your would-be partners rich.

The best source of physician salary that I'm familiar with (or that I most trust) is the salary survery data compiled by Merrit and Hawkins.

I don't know what the big deal about making 400k and investing is, or the "status amongtst other rich folk" is. If you want status, go to law school, wear expensive suits, and lease a european car.

Members don't see this ad :)
dry dre said:

Also, like other specialties, there are likely to be practices who bring in a new member with promise to "make partner in two years if you work your ass off" with no intent to make you a partner. In those cases, you've likely signed a non-compete contract and will have to up and move after you've busted ass for 2 years making your would-be partners rich.

The best source of physician salary that I'm familiar with (or that I most trust) is the salary survery data compiled by Merrit and Hawkins.

I don't know what the big deal about making 400k and investing is, or the "status amongtst other rich folk" is. If you want status, go to law school, wear expensive suits, and lease a european car.

I don't care if you really don't know why you responded, but thanks for the response.
Huh, medicine has those stupid pyramid schemes that law does? (I've got some lawyers in my family.) I had no idea.
I have a hunch that the poster :eek: ga-ga over 400K was not in our field.

psycheout said:
I have a hunch that the poster :eek: ga-ga over 400K was not in our field.

All of the pods I worked with at my med school were private docs, and all made over 400k easy.