Importance of extracurriculars, volunteering, leadership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edge of desire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how important
extracurriculars (membership in AMSA, AMWA, ob/gyn interest group, etc.),
volunteering (at a health fair and free clinic), and
"leadership potential" (this is what they say on charting outcomes, couldn't really find a definition of what they mean...do they mean "leadership potential" addressed by your LOR's or "leadership potential" as evidenced by holding actual officer positions?) are for Ob/gyn matching.

I know that these things are less important for residency matching than they were for med school apps, but they still seem to be fairly important, at least in Ob/gyn. I am just tryign to get an idea of the "normal" for most successful ob/gyn applicants.

However, I would assume that a great Step score would excuse a below avg volunteer/work/EC record? I'm currently a member of some clubs and ob/gyn interest group, and have volunteered some at health fairs and free clinics, but I feel like by the time I apply to residency, saying "I took blood pressure" is kind of lame clinical experience in comparison to the work I"ll be doing M3 and M4 year.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how important
extracurriculars (membership in AMSA, AMWA, ob/gyn interest group, etc.),
volunteering (at a health fair and free clinic), and
"leadership potential" (this is what they say on charting outcomes, couldn't really find a definition of what they mean...do they mean "leadership potential" addressed by your LOR's or "leadership potential" as evidenced by holding actual officer positions?) are for Ob/gyn matching.

I know that these things are less important for residency matching than they were for med school apps, but they still seem to be fairly important, at least in Ob/gyn. I am just tryign to get an idea of the "normal" for most successful ob/gyn applicants.

However, I would assume that a great Step score would excuse a below avg volunteer/work/EC record? I'm currently a member of some clubs and ob/gyn interest group, and have volunteered some at health fairs and free clinics, but I feel like by the time I apply to residency, saying "I took blood pressure" is kind of lame clinical experience in comparison to the work I"ll be doing M3 and M4 year.

Order of importance:

Step 1>Clinical grades/LORs >>>Research>>>>>All the other BS you mentioned in your post

Focus on step 1 and do well. If you did poorly, then do well on Step 2. Clinical grades do matter. And LOR, especially from well known faculty will go a long way.

The other stuff you mentioned can be beneficial but they aren't really going to save you from a crappy or spotty academic record to be honest.

Order of importance:

Step 1>Clinical grades/LORs >>>Research>>>>>All the other BS you mentioned in your post

Focus on step 1 and do well. If you did poorly, then do well on Step 2. Clinical grades do matter. And LOR, especially from well known faculty will go a long way.

The other stuff you mentioned can be beneficial but they aren't really going to save you from a crappy or spotty academic record to be honest.

This is a fairly accurate depiction of importance. These things do become more notable at competitive programs where you need to differentiate yourself from other applicants. (AOA should be on the list in that case)

Members don't see this ad :)
THANKS to the 2 who have responded so far! I know this forum doesn't really get a lot of traffic lol, so I appreciate it :)

I see that the ECs/Volunteering/Work experience are far less important than everything else for Ob/gyn, but would you say I have an average or below avg record of these if for example, all I've done so far in med school is volunteer at a free clinic, tutor classes, and be a member of some clubs? For work and research experience, I have quite a lot since I took several years off after college. Should I try to take on a leadership position?

I have to disagree with some answers. Please don't be offended.

Its relatively easy to have 100 applicants with 230+ on step 1 and step 2.

Its more common to have traditional applicants.

I personally think extracurricular activities do matter, at least for my program. I don't want an individual just because he/she can do well on standard exam. I want an individual who has heart and soul, who is able to be versatile, who is able to adapt and bring new ideas to improve a program. Of course, high grades are bonuses. As long as you passed your boards with descent score and didn't fail any exam, I will be confident you can pass step3 and more importantly, board certification. Ideal goal for any program is to have 100% board pass rate. So far, my program is 100% board pass rate for oral and written on first attempt. We take 2 residents a year moving onto 3.

If I have an individual who has a 250+ on step 1 and 2 with a traditional CV vs an individual who has a 210 on step 1 and step 2 with fairly interesting CV, I would definitely interview both. But from experiences, the individual who had extra activities, you are able to engage in conversations. This is NOT to say that the person with high grades and no other extra activities are door knobs.

On our residency selection panel, its always interesting to see people do multiple activities.