IM into Sports Medicine question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, MS-1 here with a question...

Let's say I did IM and went on to do a sports medicine fellowship. If I worked as a PCP offering SM modalities to patients, and lets say maybe even work with a high school athletic team in the area, does this enhance your ability to work with semi-pediatric patients (Lets say 14 years old or older)? I know most people say if you want to work with kids to do family medicine, because you learn more procedures/OB/peds in FM, but if you wanted to know more about IM-subspecialties so that you can treat more complex illnesses (as well as their musculoskeletal concerns with the addition of SM) would you be able to have an 11 year old come in to your office for an acute MSK-related thing and then go on to become your patient for her primary care needs?

Just wondering. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say I did IM and went on to do a sports medicine fellowship. If I worked as a PCP offering SM modalities to patients, and lets say maybe even work with a high school athletic team in the area, does this enhance your ability to work with semi-pediatric patients (Lets say 14 years old or older)? I know most people say if you want to work with kids to do family medicine, because you learn more procedures/OB/peds in FM, but if you wanted to know more about IM-subspecialties so that you can treat more complex illnesses (as well as their musculoskeletal concerns with the addition of SM) would you be able to have an 11 year old come in to your office for an acute MSK-related thing and then go on to become your patient for her primary care needs?

Just wondering. Thanks!
I suppose you could...but you shouldn't. Nor will you likely want to.

Just wondering. Thanks!

My personal feeling is that family medicine residency offer you at least the same (if not better) vigorous OUTPATIENT adult medicine training. Most IM residency focuses lots of INPATIENT or even ICU staff, which is interesting but may not be as useful for outpatient settings.

And treating children or adolescent is definitely a plus for FM

My personal feeling is that family medicine residency offer you at least the same (if not better) vigorous OUTPATIENT adult medicine training. Most IM residency focuses lots of INPATIENT or even ICU staff, which is interesting but may not be as useful for outpatient settings.

And treating children or adolescent is definitely a plus for FM

Yeah, not all of us would agree with that. I sometimes wish I could set my minimum age at 25 rather than 18.

Reactions: 1 user